Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 1, 2018   #1
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting an urban rooftop garden

Hello
I want to start a container garden on the roof of my restaurant. Looking for some information on types of containers and medium.
Considering growing greens, specialty cherry and cocktail tomatoes.

I am in zone 7
Brooklyn New York

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #2
SuntannedSwede
Tomatovillian™

Seems like a lot of people have found the 'EarthTainer' to be a useful setup.

Here's a brief overview: https://earthtainer.tomatofest.com

And here's how to build one:
https://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/p...tion-Guide.pdf
SuntannedSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #3
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Depends on how much you are looking to grow. If just a few things, trywine barrels with wheeled coasters and mulched with pine barks.

If you want big production, you may want to grow in rows with drip irrigation. Something like this perhaps: http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44394

If you want low cost start up, I think fabric grow bags are a great idea, personally I'm going to switch to primarily grow bags for containers. For even cheaper, you can use disposable plastic grow bags.

I really like my new Earthbox too, so that's another option if you have lots of money to spare. Or you can try other cheaper wicking container solution like mentioned above. Though Earthbox is supposed to last very long.

For mix, I do 75% Ecoscraps potting mix and 25% compost in plastic containers, but in grow bags because of better drainage and faster drying, I do 50/50. If you use a peat moss heaving potting mix you have to make sure of the pH and use dolomite lime to adjust. Personally, I avoid peat moss dominant potting mix which tend to be too water retentive and acidic.

I do like potting mix with coconut coir, but it have to be dark colored coir. Never use fresh coconut coir (those blocks that expands), the only thing it does is tie up all nutrients, stunt the plants, and add pocket space for ants to make nests.

ProMix is another potting mix to consider.

For fertilizer, personally I mix in slow release fertilizer thoroughly, instead of top dressing, I only use synthetic water fertilizer to fix deficiencies. So far, I find grow bags have less problem with nutrient uptakes compared to plastic containers.

Last edited by maxjohnson; January 1, 2018 at 03:23 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think compact varieties are the way to go when space is limited. I like Maglia Rosa and Terrenzo F1 as compact determinate cherries. Cole is a very good medium red slicer, also a compact determinate. I also like Sol Guld as a medium yellow. All of these varieties would do fine in 5-7 gallon containers, I think. Traditional indeterminates like Big Beef would prefer a container twice that size, unless you are going to constantly fertigate with drip.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My no drain holes tubs/sight tube for water level contraption worked flawlessly last summer.
It is very water conserving too.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Do you have a water source up there? That would be a project getting water up to a roof.

I lived in Brooklyn until I was 5, then moved to a high rise in the Yorkville area of Manhattan till my 20's. Then Boston, a few different stops around the country and I'm in Omaha now.

What I remember vividly about my NYC tenure is the pigeons. I would plan for some type of cloth to shelter the greens from "dive bombs". Don't know of they peck but I remember them very well, even on a rooftop.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #7
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Gerardo has a very long thread on his rooftop garden which is very informational. I have been growing vegetables, mostly dwarf project tomatoes and peppers, on the rooftop gutter garden at my church for several years. It is very productive and low maintainance, once constructed. For the tomatoes I use 5 gallon pails and for the peppers something smaller. I added grow bags this year for sweet potatoes, and that worked well also. I also harvest rain water for use in the gutters, but am also hooked up to municipal water for dry spells. I only get up there weekly or less, and the rest of the time it is on its own.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure you have come across the milk crate system used all over
the city. Can't find the pic but a real beauty garden just across from the UN.

Easy to move around, two crates tall. Bottom crate empty for a bit of height.
Easy to harvest. Planting crate lined with landscape fabric. When I lived in the city I had just 8,
16 crates. Small back deck that needed moving as the sun
changed during the season.

Could not use the roof as the landlord hated rooftop 'lounging' and festivities.

Weight is an issue with most rooftop containers. If you own the building, no
issues. The crates can sit on rubber matting if the rooftop membrane is
tar/gravel. Lot of options but flexible/moveable, easy up and down stairs...

This is Riverbank...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riverpark.jpg (371.4 KB, 87 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018   #9
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

That is such an amazing looking garden. I wonder how it is watered. If it is not automated somehow, it might be pretty time consuming. I love seeing gardens in urban settings like that.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #10
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for the suggestions. I love the milk crate garden. I can collect the crates from now.

I’ll send pictures. For today. I’ll deal with the snow

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Nasty storm. Prepping for a power outage. Up 3am and baked a
Forkish 'pinch' boule. Lots of soup choices in the freezer for a
quick dinner. The wind is brutal.

I used landscape fabric to line the crates. Some square felt grow
bags easily found for cheap fit. Less than two bucks each. I got mine
online...greenhouseMegaStore...and Amazon.

Bottom crate empty. No bending over,

The crate garden across from the UnitedNations is on an upper terrace.
They even grow corn. Impressive.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote