Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old May 17, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Egg Plant (Black Beauty)

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OOBWT 16 May 2013 Egg Plant Placed outdoors
Four egg plants (Black Beauty) were placed in the outdoor garden.Egg plant is most prolific in my garden. Zone 5.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?PXAXN 3 May 2013 Egg Plant (Black Beauty)
Four egg plant seedlings were purchased and planted, individually in a larger container.This makes for a strong root structure when planted in the outdoor garden at the end of May. Egg plant is a most prolific producer in my garden, and four plants produce far more fruit than I can use. The only bug attacking is the Colorado Potato Beetle, which is easily controlled by physically removing when seen.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013   #2
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Egg plant care

Hi, I had my first try at growing eggplant last year, either Blk Beauty or maybe Raveena??? Anyway, I did find out that I could grow it, do any of you prune your plants, mine were pretty bushy and I wondered about this. What is a good yield pound wise, or number of fruits? Thanks, Merry Christmas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0138.jpg (442.7 KB, 56 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Hi, I had my first try at growing eggplant last year, either Blk Beauty or maybe Raveena??? Anyway, I did find out that I could grow it, do any of you prune your plants, mine were pretty bushy and I wondered about this. What is a good yield pound wise, or number of fruits? Thanks, Merry Christmas
I didn't take harvest pictures for some reason, but my four plants produced many fruit, more than I could handle and a large size. Probably about eight fruit per plant of superb quality.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WCMTC 17 August 2013 Vegetable Juicing The fourth picture shows one picking.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CNAVT 23 September 2012 Juicing Peppers,Egg Plant, and Kale. The second picture shows another picking. I also picked some at other times and gave them to an Italian neighbour.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013   #4
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I had planted 6 Black Beauty eggplant this summer and I never trimmed or pruned the plants. Production was at least 8-10 good size fruits.

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2013   #5
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplant thoughts

Thanks for the advice and note sharing. I am going to grow several plants this year, I will let you know how it turns out.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014   #6
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Grew black beauty eggplant both up north (Long Island, NY) and here in west central Florida. The major difference to growing them down here that I can see is that I need to wait longer before getting them in the ground (which gets me past any freak freezes that may come along). BBs like our Florida summer heat. Before that the plants can sit there for weeks and just 'look at you' doing nothing. Up north we had a shorter growing season so that fact wasn't so obvious.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014   #7
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?PXAXN[/URL] 3 May 2013 Egg Plant (Black Beauty)
Four egg plant seedlings were purchased and planted, individually in a larger container.This makes for a strong root structure when planted in the outdoor garden at the end of May. Egg plant is a most prolific producer in my garden, and four plants produce far more fruit than I can use. The only bug attacking is the Colorado Potato Beetle, which is easily controlled by physically removing when seen.
Make trays of eggplant parmagiana and freeze it. Don't use aluminum foil directly on the food though. Cover with plastic wrap first. The tomato sauce will eat into your aluminum foil and leave gray patches all over the top of it.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote