Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 27, 2007   #1
David52
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall Caterpillars snarfing my ripe tomatoes

First time ever, but well over 50 ripe tomatoes have caterpillars eating away, right inside the fruit, at the stem end. Only 1 caterpillar per tomato. Never seen it, nobody around here has ever heard of it, and nothing distinctive about the worm, just an 1 " long fat green caterpillar, looking very happy.

Hope it goes away next year.
Old September 27, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I really got hammered by Fruitworms this spring. I lost 10 Cherokee Purple fruits to them.

Click for Larger Size

The solution is thorough spraying with BT.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2007   #3
David52
Tomatovillian™

When do you spray 'em?
Old September 28, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Spray the plants every week. BT is effective against Hornworms, Fruitworms, etc.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2007   #5
David52
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I've got some bt, but never had to use it on 'maters before. First time seeing this bug around. I brought in a few bushels of tomatoes to ripen indoors, and these things came along for the ride.