Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old September 30, 2010   #1
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Default School Lunches

Though it won't pay Farmer's Market prices, and there are hurdles to jump, more and more school lunch systems are looking to buy local. Check out this article from my local paper:

Food & wine | More schools trying to serve Washington-grown food — but it isn't easy | Seattle Times Newspaper

It might beat throwing it in the compost pile.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

The local food movement is sweeping the nation, although I think in name only. Logistics as mentioned in the article and regulations concerning food sources are roadblocks to getting the produce from grower to users.

For several years we took our excess produce to a local retirement home and from all reports, it was greatly appreciated and reminded residents of the time when they all had garden produce. A year ago as we took in green beans, tomatoes and peppers we were told that due to state regulations, all produce must come from a regulated source with a contract to the retirement home. Our fresh, home grown stuff did not meet the requirement that it was sold by a produce company.

When I contacted the company with the contract as to the source of their produce, it mostly came from Latin American farms and mostly from Mexico. When asked about quality and safety controls, I was told that there were none. They just bought from a broker and loaded their trucks from a warehouse.

So, even though the local managers of the home wanted fresh, safe, tasty fruits and vegetables, state regulations are in place to provide residents with food with unknown histories.

I was not trying to sell anything, just give it away. I guess my produce could potentially be as harmful as Mexican produce, but I know better.

Hopefully the local food proponents can get around some of the problems and open the door to local growers.
Old September 30, 2010   #3
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Every state/county has its own "health codes/regulations", and many are so restrictive that they represent a near impossible hurdle. It seems a shame to throw tons of good produce onto compost piles while so many people are going hungry. For a local school district to spend money with local farmers helps the entire community. If 80% of every dollar is going thousands of miles from its source, the community is merely spreading its wealth to those who cannot give back to the community. So sad, especially in times when most communities are lacking funds.
Old October 4, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here in NYS the restrictions are ridiculous.

When I moved to my new place in 1999 I was suplying a local restuarant for several years and they loved what I brought them and I was just trading for food at the restaurant which worked out well for both sides of this equation.

But in the meantime NYS passed some new food laws.

There's another place nearby and I've wanted to give some fruits to Rodney for his restaurant but I find that I can't unless there's some kind of inspection of what I bring by NYS inspectors.

Rodney also is now manager of the cafeteria at the local school and while there's lots of good stuff raised locally in my area he can't obtain stuff locally without some inspection as well and he's a strong proponent of using local foods.

There are Farmer's Markets galore around here selling to the public and no controls are placed on those kinds of markets for fruits and vegetables, but I think there are some for thise vendors selling meats.

Slow Food also has a presence here, I'm not a member, but I hear they haven't made any inroads either.

Very discouraging.
Old October 4, 2010   #5
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
The local food movement is sweeping the nation, although I think in name only. Logistics as mentioned in the article and regulations concerning food sources are roadblocks to getting the produce from grower to users.

For several years we took our excess produce to a local retirement home and from all reports, it was greatly appreciated and reminded residents of the time when they all had garden produce. A year ago as we took in green beans, tomatoes and peppers we were told that due to state regulations, all produce must come from a regulated source with a contract to the retirement home. Our fresh, home grown stuff did not meet the requirement that it was sold by a produce company.

When I contacted the company with the contract as to the source of their produce, it mostly came from Latin American farms and mostly from Mexico. When asked about quality and safety controls, I was told that there were none. They just bought from a broker and loaded their trucks from a warehouse.

So, even though the local managers of the home wanted fresh, safe, tasty fruits and vegetables, state regulations are in place to provide residents with food with unknown histories.

I was not trying to sell anything, just give it away. I guess my produce could potentially be as harmful as Mexican produce, but I know better.

Hopefully the local food proponents can get around some of the problems and open the door to local growers.
I hear ya Paul, What a mess, We've regulated ourselves into starving some of our citizens, guess it's kinda like "new and improved" Diet this and fat free that, you know any of that stuff ain't worth a tinkers gosh darnoodley.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #6
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

WOW, I didn't realize we were "new and improved" here at T'ville

Tinkers **** translates to Tinkers gosh darnoodley

cause I gosh darnoodley sure didn't want to mislead anyone.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #7
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Most of the regulations are aimed at 'the little guy', while favoring Industrial AG. Where else on earth can farmers go broke, while raising bumper crops in a hungry world?
Old October 5, 2010   #8
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Several years ago I had a surplus of green beans and zukes - a big surplus. I could take the surplus to a soup kitchen nearby only because they receive no federal or state funding. I could take it to a small farmer's market but could not donate to some of the above mentioned. But interesting - a nearby school has an organic garden as does the rec center - they can sell at the small farmer's market but not use at the school. Slow Food is making some inroads here but it is an uphill battle. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote