Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 31, 2007   #31
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

...Not to mention the Law of Unintended Consequences!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2007   #32
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

well along the vein of every cloud has a silver lining check this out.

apparently the outer fencing needed to mature and having shaded the inner fence very little was produced on that one. saturday i was amazed at the number of flowers about to open on the outer fence's vines. once these start it'll be bean heaven. unfortunately this will end in early october but better late than never. so all is not lost, just really late.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2007   #33
Zana
Tomatovillian™

If you're lucky you'll have a verrrrrrrry late running fall and be harvesting into November. Last year I was still do harvesting the Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Beans into mid November. They even survived some earlier light frosts. Although most of what I harvested in November I kept for seed.

The shade might be one factor, but if you're having similiar weather to what we're having in the Great Lakes Basin, with less intense heat, the flower production on my beans (and cukes, peppers and toms) has kicked into overdrive, it seems. A week ago some of my varieties of beans and peppers had little or no flowers or fruit. Now they're covered in flowers. Go figure, better late than never, I suppose.

Good luck with yours.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote