Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old July 8, 2007   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Tree Fruit - Apples, Figs, Stone Fruits, Avocado, Citrus

Some of you have probably heard of Dutch Babies - kind of a pan baked popover with fruit, just an incredible breakfast. We ate these several times when in Oregon at various B&Bs. They are ridiculously easy, but really one of the best things you can eat for breakfast. Here's how...

Preheat the oven to 425 deg.
Use a teflon skillet - about 12 inches across and 3 inches tall, with a flat bottom but not sharp edges - sort of like a large omelet pan, that can go into the oven. Into the skillet put about 3 tbsp of butter and put in the preheated oven to melt the butter as you make the batter and prepare the fruit.

You can go with whatever fruit you like - we've done just blueberries, just blackberries, a mix of the two, just sliced apples, or, like this morning, apples and blueberries. If you are using apples, use one medium to large apple, peeled and sliced thin, as for apple pie.

Into the bottom of the skillet with the melted butter, add the fruit (we add the apples first, then a handful of blueberries. Sprinkle with 1 tsp or more of ground cinnamon. Place into the oven to warm the fruit through (it will start to sizzle after 5 min or so).

In a bowl, break the eggs, add the flour, then milk. Use 1/3 cup of flour, 1/3 cup of milk, and one egg for person (in the 12 inch pan, the biggest we've gone is a 3 person version). Whisk the three ingredients together, then pour over the sizzling fruit. Bake at 425 for 25-30 min - it will puff up and brown nicely.

Cut into serving wedges, sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with real maple syrup....

MUST be served with fresh ground, good quality coffee made in a French Press!! (just kidding...the coffee snob coming through).

You can really get this into the oven in about 5 minutues - once you try it, good luck - you will be addicted! (and it is much less heavy/fattening/easier to make than waffles or pancakes!)
Old July 8, 2007   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Craig....We make them in cast iron skillets, and they are my kids favorite breakfast or dinner...Of course they prefer them w/o fruit...The skillets keep the food warm for about 20 minutes if needed...We have made some 12 egg versions when cooking on cattle drives and they always come out great...It is a very forgiving recipe and can be made eggier if a custard type version is liked...I like to make a plain one with vanilla paste and fresh grated nutmeg , and just a touch of real maple syrup....In the winter we eat these for dinner often, when nothing is thawed out or it is getting late...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2008   #3
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Now that it's getting toward strawberry time - have fresh lemon juice, powdered sugar, and cut up strawberries ready when the dutch baby/popcake is done. Pull it out of the oven halfway, sprinkle with lemon juice and powdered sugar, and return to oven so that the sugar crusts slightly. Remove from oven, add fresh berries, and enjoy.
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2008   #4
strmywthr3
Tomatovillian™

what's the custard version? recipe? these sound yummy!

strmywthr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2008   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

We've found that blueberries, apples, or a combination of both produce our favorite Dutch Babies. They are now our standard Sunday Morning breakfast!
Old April 20, 2008   #6
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

WOW ..... Gonna try that!!!!!!!!
Old April 21, 2008   #7
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Awesome idea!

Wouldn't you know it? I've lived in Oregon for 5 years now, and have never even heard of these. Sigh. I've got to open my eyes.

I'm going to try it in a couple days. I'll make it as an evening dessert for my wife and our son.

Thanks!
Old April 21, 2008   #8
babylark
Tomatovillian™

Ok...Now I'm hungary. This sounds like good dessert tonight.
Old April 22, 2008   #9
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

If you really want dessert, make it adding the lemon-sugar crust as noted above, add room-temperature strawberries when it comes out of the oven, and top with slightly sweetened whipped cream. Don't cheat - no Cool Whip allowed!
Note to Craig - in the strawberry version, the berries do NOT get cooked, unlike the apple version.
Old November 30, 2009   #10
tessa
Tomatovillian™

wow. i'm definitely going to try these.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009   #11
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

The egg batter sounds like Swedish pancake batter. They are good also! Maybe I will make these instead of sourdough pancakes on Christmas eve.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2009   #12
huxter09
Tomatovillian™

How about using tomatoes instead of the above mentioned fruit ---and add some herbs or maybe some chilli ?? --a more savoury "brekker" !!
Old December 5, 2009   #13
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

It could work - you'd want to cut the tomato and drain any excess liquid before adding to the popcake, as otherwise you get an unappealing soggy mess, but I don't see why the flavors wouldn't work. If I were using tomatoes, I might even want to change from butter to olive oil or bacon fat, at least in part....
Old December 9, 2009   #14
tessa
Tomatovillian™

craig...this recipe totally rocked. thankyou.
we'll be having this again for christmas morning.
i've got blueberries and mulberries coming in that should go really nicely.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2009   #15
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Great, Tessa! We alternate our Sunday breakfasts between the Dutch Baby (and we alternate using blueberries and apples), and Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Pancakes (recipe was posted in the Pumpkin/Squash recipe area). Yum!