Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 31, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Geez, they grow fast...

The brassica plants are coming along nicely. It always amazes me how fast they grow. There are two groups coming along with half of each variety sown on Jan 11 and the other half sown Jan 19.

Here's the 1/11 group, now twenty days from sowing:

Here's the 1/19 group, now twelve days from sowing. Hard to believe that in just eight days they'll look like the other ones.

For planning purposes, I'm counting on four weeks from sowing plus one week to harden off on the porch so the first group will tentatively be planted out around Feb 15 as I'm trying to get a little stagger in finish times. Maybe should have put a two week time lag in there.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

I use a mix of brassicas for winter cut and come again/ baby greens. They are densely planted in a strip and under lights in a cool room, so I estimate 30 days to first cut... but maybe sooner!
I learned not to mix them with the lettuce, because they are way faster. And although they like a deeper pot, they will still come on vigorously in a shallow tray and densely planted, and take multiple cuts before they even ask for a little ferts.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #3
oakley
Tomatovillian™

They look beautiful. My next trial run will be larger leaf winter grow for salads.
Busy with micro toms, germination testing, hot water treatment tests, and started
my peppers last weekend.
I have some 6pack cells so I'm going to try some leafy greens this weekend. one variety
per 6pack.
I've had macro greens growing successfully all winter. So much I've had to bag them. pic
is last Sundays harvest.

I think I can add to the mix with a 1010 36 cell tray, 3-4 seeds per cell to get a larger leaf
production going along with my 'macro' greens. (I grow larger than 'micro' for better
flavor and meatiness/crunch/bulk). You have inspired me to sow a flat. In the summer
garden I alway pick the young tender leaves along a row of greens for fresh salads.
Why not grow them all winter as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macro greens bagged.jpg (407.2 KB, 110 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Boy, they look lush and juicy!
Old January 31, 2019   #5
PlainJane

Wow, Oakley, those microgreens look wonderful. I have some seed kicking around so am going to sow a flat this weekend.

GoDawgs - which brassicas did you start? Any cauliflower in the groups?
Old January 31, 2019   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oakley, your gorgeous winter grow is a huge inspiration to all of us who are stuck with a real winter. If you can't plant out, gotta plant in. Yum!!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2019   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Wow, Oakley, those microgreens look wonderful. I have some seed kicking around so am going to sow a flat this weekend.

GoDawgs - which brassicas did you start? Any cauliflower in the groups?
Aspabroc - First time for this. A friend was wondering about it and got me wondering about it too (I've never had broccolini) so I ordered seed and have a six pack started for each of us.

Broccoli - 'Packman' is now the only one I grow because it has consistently done well for me and usually provides a ton of side shoots. The only other variety that has come very close is 'Blue Wind'. Unfortunately over the years I haven't found an OP broccoli that does worth a darn here so I'm done looking.

Cabbages - 'Stonehead' and 'Charleston Wakefield'. This fall I'm going to try 'Premium Late Flat Dutch' along with a few of the others.

Cauliflower - I'm doing 'Amazing'. This is absolutely the last time for trying cauliflower. I've said this twice before but this time I mean it. LOL! It will get both a spring and fall run. I'm convinced the alternating warm and cold stretches here are just not conducive to cauliflower growing.

Collards - 'Vates'

Kale - 'Premier'. It's an unfrilly type so there's nowhere for aphids to hide.

Pac Choi - 'Toi Choi', a dwarf. Cute little buggers. They'll be grown in succession in window boxes.
Old February 1, 2019   #8
PlainJane

That is too funny. I’ve had good results with cauliflower but only so-so with broccoli. And I’m a full zone warmer than you.
Old March 17, 2019   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I just bought some kohlrabi seeds yesterday.
I will direct sow some tomorrow. I don,t have room inside.
On a second thought I might start them in the cold frame.
I have given up on broccoli and cauliflower. Last year i got huge plaonts, all leaves and no heads.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote