Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 22, 2008   #1
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Default Rain promped mold in self watering container.

Everything seemed great with the tomato aparatus,but after a few bays of rain mold grew under the moisture barrier.Big fuzzy stuff,Nasty!!So i drained it and took off the moisture barrier and am now using it as a regular container.

Maybe i will try it again when all signs of mold are gone.

Jason.
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2008   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jason,

I think you have a fundamental problem in the planting medium that you selected. Many experts such as the good folks at the EarthBox Company recommend using ONLY potting MIX, and nothing else in self-watering container planting.

As I recall, you are using a non-potting mix type medium from Maine. This may be causing your mold problem, as I just checked under the mulch on several of mine, and no mold at all.

Hopefully, others can share their experiences with self-watering container growing mediums.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008   #3
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

I respectfully disagree,the mold grew mainly in the fertilizer strip.I have a a good deal of run in's with mold practicing mycology,It's not too picky about what it colonizes,just give it some moisture and off it goes!Darn green mold ruined a few of my projects.

The stuff i planted with is compost and peat,with mussel shells,salmon and blueberry..They say it is an all purpose planting mix.The plants are growing like crazy in it,it seems like pretty good stuff to me so far.

Jason.
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2010   #4
ElectraJim
Tomatovillian™

I have found mold in my bucket containers too.

Started completely from scratch about 2 weeks ago with Ferti-Lome Ultimate Potting Mix and Garden-Tone fertilizer (on the top), nothing else.
I coverd it with (the bucket) with trashbags.

Is this a sign that I should leave the trashbags off, and the mix/fertilizer uncovered?

FWIW, the potting mix I use is on the "OK to use list" from Earthbox.
Water conservation isn't an issue with me.

Thanks,
ElectraJim
ElectraJim is offline   Reply With Quote