Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 14, 2018   #1
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Default Ambrosia Series from J&L

J&L offers these from the Ambrosia series:

Ambrosia Giant

Ambrosia Gold

Ambrosia Orange UBX

Ambrosia Pink

Ambrosia Red

Ambrosia Rose UBX

Blue Ambrosia

Why do only the Orange and Rose have the UBX suffix? Are those two sweeter than the others?

I'd also like to know what they taste like. Do they taste similar to each other or do they have their own taste profiles?

I'd love to hear from those of you who've grown them.
e.thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I believe it refers to a higher measured brix.
I have grown both ambrosia gold and ambrosia red. Both early, sweet and productive in my garden. I enjoyed them.
In the case of Ambrosia gold, I believe the seed I had through a trade was not quite stable.
I used it as the mother to breed the KARMA cherries and the result was 2 colours in the F1.
This turned out to be a huge bonus although unplanned.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018   #3
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

All of the Ambrosia plants I grew have a spicy characteristic that is stronger than Sungold. In general, they take longer to start producing.

Ambrosia Orange UBX taste hint of spicy and sweeter than Sungold, but didn't do very well for me with root knot nematode soil. Some of my seeds resulted in an off type that is salad size with intense green juice, super productive but less sweet, I'm working on stabilizing it.

Blue Ambrosia to me if let ripen properly can also be very high brix. It is larger than Sungold and UBX. I like the taste of this one best, it as a honey-like flavor with thick juice, but is very low productivity. You're lucky to get a few clusters from a plant unless you multi-stem it. I'm looking at crossing this one with something else.

There were still some instability with some of the seeds I bought 2 years ago, you should buy them directly from J&L to get the latest stable selection.

Last edited by maxjohnson; January 15, 2018 at 02:03 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Pink and Red grown here. For me, the Pink was sweeter. Both were very prolific. Red was a little larger in size. My wife is the cherry tomato eater and she likes the Pink better.
Old January 14, 2018   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

MaxJ, do you grow in a greenhouse? do you really "single stem" cherry tomato plants?
KarenO
Old January 14, 2018   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think they are the sweetest cherries. I like them all, so do my whiteflies. I think they are attracted to the sugar. Size is unfortunately small on all but the blue, which is an antho orange. It is as good as Juane Flamme.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #7
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
MaxJ, do you grow in a greenhouse? do you really "single stem" cherry tomato plants?
KarenO
No unless using stakes. But with Blue Ambrosia I find out I have to cut the main stem right from the beginning unless you're looking at growing a Guinness record tall plant because it doesn't really produce much suckers left alone.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #8
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

That is useful information. I single stem all my indeterminate tomatoes.
When I grow Ambrosia blue I'll treat it like a determinate : without or with little pruning.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #9
mayax68
Tomatovillian™

Default Ambrosia red

I grew both yellow and red. Red was super impressive in all respects. Production was amazing. It kept going until november frost killed it. The taste was sweet and spicy. I found my favorite red cherry in this variety.
mayax68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2018   #10
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

I have seeds of
Ambrosia gold
Ambrosia ubx (it is not mentioned whether it's orange ubx or pink ubx)
Ambrosia red
Ambrosia orange
I think of growing two. Which are the tastiest? I like my cherries sweet (like Sungold, green tiger).
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2018   #11
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

I got Orange, Pink and Blue for this season. I wanted to try Rose but they are sold out. I'm very excited to see how these turn out.
Old August 4, 2018   #12
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Well, I saw how they turned out and I'm disappointed. I think I went 0-3. None matched their description in one way or another.

Blue Ambrosia: Ping Pong ball sized (Is that the right size?), beautiful coloring, but different than the pics I've seen, and bland, bland, bland. Not sweet in the least bit.

Blueambrosia.jpg

Ambrosia Orange: It was a small and pear shaped, but had the correct coloring and was very sweet but only when ripened fully. But the problem was, it split worse than Sungold. Also, it had a thick skin.

Amborobx.jpg

Ambrosia Pink: It wasn't pink. It was a light orange/yellow and was also bland as could be. I pulled it a few weeks ago, so there is no pic.

I suppose if I try again next season I'll have a better chance of getting the right thing.
But, really, what were the odds of going 0-3? At this stage of stability, (especially in AO), pretty small I think.

I want to make sure I have this right - a higher percentage of seeds in the packet should be true than not. So next season, the odds are in my favor of getting the intended fruit?

Last edited by e.thad; August 4, 2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old August 4, 2018   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Instability strikes again!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2018   #14
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

You bought your seed directly from Jand L ?
KarenO
Old August 5, 2018   #15
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I did.