Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 11, 2015   #76
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Yes they do. I havent seen any yet but I have seen the marks of them on my black cherry tomatoes just recently.

Ginny
I am also having stink bugs and won't have time to deal with it until Saturday. Plus, some army worms. Not worried about the army worms, BT will solve them. But the stink bugs, with 75+ plants growing organically. I will use the dust buster and then dust with DE this weekend. Would Neem/soap or spinosad help at all?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #77
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I've been killing stinkbugs all year here. We have heavy woods all around us. They like to overwinter under fallen branches. There's no way for us to get rid of them - just try to control them around the gardens.
I have woods, pasture (with weeds including wild "eggplant") and also have huge corn/soybean fields across the street. They spray and I think everything flies over the bamboo windbreak to my garden.
Old June 11, 2015   #78
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
That's one of Ron's Carbon Copy F6.
7 or-8 ft tall, never missed a chance to set or lost a leaf to fungus. Beautiful deep maroon
1-1/2" fruits. The first 3 at the very bottom turned and split in a storm last week, saved the seeds from them. There's a couple on the table nearly ready for sampling.
One of my favorite, will be a must-grow every year!
Old June 15, 2015   #79
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Are you ready? All of us DFW area gardeners know what the forecast is. The tropical storm Bill is coming, Could go to the west or to our east. Going to the west would be worse for the DFW area. Most tropical storms go to our east sparing us in typical years. Then there are odd years like this one.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #80
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Are you ready? All of us DFW area gardeners know what the forecast is. The tropical storm Bill is coming, Could go to the west or to our east. Going to the west would be worse for the DFW area. Most tropical storms go to our east sparing us in typical years. Then there are odd years like this one.

I haven't had the TV on in days, there is a storm coming?

This may explain the wind flag outside showing wind out of the north east.
I dont know.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #81
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Yes, at a minimum pick your blushing tomatoes or prepare to have them split when they get soaked. Hopefully, the severe weather is less than predicted.

Dewayne
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #82
Mallori
Tomatovillian™

Excellent timing for another bout of dropped blossoms. My plants are FINALLY putting out more flowers and they are about to be wrecked by more storms. Sad.
Mallori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #83
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallori View Post
Excellent timing for another bout of dropped blossoms. My plants are FINALLY putting out more flowers and they are about to be wrecked by more storms. Sad.
Then right after that we are supposed to get rain from a storm in the pacific.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #84
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

In the 7 day forecast, next Saturday and Sunday feature highs in the upper 80s with rain chances. I had gotten so used to years of drought conditions with record breaking high temperatures and then a year like this one happens.

Yes, it can quickly change back, but I'm wondering if these cooler temperatures will continue?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #85
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
In the 7 day forecast, next Saturday and Sunday feature highs in the upper 80s with rain chances. I had gotten so used to years of drought conditions with record breaking high temperatures and then a year like this one happens.

Yes, it can quickly change back, but I'm wondering if these cooler temperatures will continue?

I know what you mean Salt! I am not used to gardening with this much rain. I am used to Summer being hot and dry. I have noticed more foliar disese than in previous years.

Last edited by pauldavid; June 22, 2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #86
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I am wondering what to do at this point for a fall crop? I've got a couple of duds and a couple that have had enough disease that they have to go and I'll replace them. However, many of my plants are in better shape than normal for this time of year and I"m wondering if I should let them ride the summer out?

I have had more tomatoes by far this year than any prior year! I attribute that to 3 things. One, the weather has clearly been more tomato friendly with lots of rain and not as hot temps as in the previous drought years. Two, Texas Tomato food. I will never not use this product again. Three, in my in ground garden, going to 2-3 stems on strings, like Bill in Alabama uses. The only problem with this method is doing enough pruning and keeping things cut back to the desired number of stems. The production in this method is definitely better than my previous method of using Texas Tomato cages, but see reasons one and two. Disease has been pretty easy to control as compared to in containers where it has been more of a battle. I am nearing the first drop down which is going to be a challenge, but, they've reached the top and need somewhere to go, so, time to make it happen!

Dewayne
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote