Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2015   #1
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Default What do you wear when you spray?

I've read the labels on Daconil, Soap Shield copper spray, and Safer Insecticidal Soap. They make it sound like you have to go full Breaking Bad with a respirator and hazmat suit! I do have some regard for my health, and sprays can drift or get on you if you're contorting yourself to get under leaves, so I know reasonable caution is called for. I guess I'm just wondering how others with more experience interpret reasonable caution. So, what do you wear when you spray products like the ones I mentioned?
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

At the very least we wear a respirator and long sleeves and pants, with socks and boots. We should wear gloves but we always forget to get them out. Shame on us. But at the very least cover your skin and wear a respirator mask, not a dust mask.
Old June 25, 2015   #3
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps some will come me irresponsible, but I wear whatever I happened to be wearing that day.. Usually jeans and a t-shirt.. I just try to be mindful with not deliberately breathing anything in, or spraying it on my skin.. Although I've had a few shots of neem to the arm with no adverse effects lol .. IMO if I need protective clothing to apply a product, then perhaps it shouldn't be on or around something I'm about to consume anyways..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #4
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Honestly, I don't wear anything for safety except glasses by default. My protocol is very simple, since I spray in the evening, and it gets all over me, I shower and scrub immediately afterwards and clothes go in the hamper. For the most part, the organic stuff is very user friendly. If there was a "danger" on the label, that would be a different story. I think the big scary label is more for a better legal position. I mean heck, neem oil is in certain lotions and creams yet the label says to scrub exposed area for 20 minutes AND call poison control...Puhleeezzzzz.
Old June 25, 2015   #5
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaida View Post
Honestly, I don't wear anything for safety except glasses by default. My protocol is very simple, since I spray in the evening, and it gets all over me, I shower and scrub immediately afterwards and clothes go in the hamper. For the most part, the organic stuff is very user friendly. If there was a "danger" on the label, that would be a different story. I think the big scary label is more for a better legal position. I mean heck, neem oil is in certain lotions and creams yet the label says to scrub exposed area for 20 minutes AND call poison control...Puhleeezzzzz.
agreed
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Other than my normal everyday clothing (long sleeve shirt, long pants) , I just wear eye protection.
I spray when there is no winds. and I spray away from myself. Only concern is when I spray the under side of the leaves (holding the nozzle in upward position), to avoid droplets from getting into my eyes.
After the job just wash up
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #7
joseph
Tomatovillian™

The only thing that I spray on my crops is irrigation water, so therefore, no protective gear for me.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #8
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
The only thing that I spray on my crops is irrigation water, so therefore, no protective gear for me.
I don't spray anything on any of my crops either, never have.I was scared to say anything, I thought I was the only one
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #9
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Until this year had a spray license (let it expire).

Minimum is long sleeve and pants + rubber boots + spray gloves -- cloth gloves could make exposure much worse! If not doing weed killing but spraying plants (particularly fruit trees), respirator. Used to drive me crazy when I'd drive by someone spraying something on lawn in t-shirt or even shorts!!!

If I'm just doing weed killing (spraying ground), I might go onto other things first, but otherwise and eventually the clothing goes into the washer (and gets a 2nd rinse cycle) and I get a shower.

NOTE: Just because something is labeled ORGANIC, does not mean the spray is non-toxic!!!

Note: I'm not spraying much these days.

I had an older friend who developed very bad Parkinson's. He had never been very careful about exposure and sincerely believed his disease was caused by his spray exposure (hard/impossible to prove). It eventually became so bad that he took his own life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
I've read the labels on Daconil, Soap Shield copper spray, and Safer Insecticidal Soap. They make it sound like you have to go full Breaking Bad with a respirator and hazmat suit! I do have some regard for my health, and sprays can drift or get on you if you're contorting yourself to get under leaves, so I know reasonable caution is called for. I guess I'm just wondering how others with more experience interpret reasonable caution. So, what do you wear when you spray products like the ones I mentioned?
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
Until this year had a spray license (let it expire).

Minimum is long sleeve and pants + rubber boots + spray gloves -- cloth gloves could make exposure much worse! If not doing weed killing but spraying plants (particularly fruit trees), respirator. Used to drive me crazy when I'd drive by someone spraying something on lawn in t-shirt or even shorts!!!

If I'm just doing weed killing (spraying ground), I might go onto other things first, but otherwise and eventually the clothing goes into the washer (and gets a 2nd rinse cycle) and I get a shower.

NOTE: Just because something is labeled ORGANIC, does not mean the spray is non-toxic!!!

Note: I'm not spraying much these days.

I had an older friend who developed very bad Parkinson's. He had never been very careful about exposure and sincerely believed his disease was caused by his spray exposure (hard/impossible to prove). It eventually became so bad that he took his own life.
Amen to the organic safety (not) comment. These sprays are concentrated, whether it is organic or synthetic. You do not want them on you or to be inhaling them.
Read the label and do follow the directions for amounts and personal protection recommendations, they are there to keep you safe. I grow about two acres of produce so I know I am spraying greater quantities than most of you who do spray ( we have apple trees and they require spraying in order to harvest a sale-able) and I grow to sell so I depend on having a crop but I try to keep it to a bare minimum, but there are still things that need to be sprayed on occasion or on a schedule such as the apples.
Old June 25, 2015   #11
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I've used Safer products without worrying about protection. I also used to work in an electroplating shop and had to wear a 'spacesuit' from time to time because the chemicals were so bad. I certainly don't worry about insecticidal soap.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #12
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Usually shorts and sandals. It's best to follow instructions though. I issue a warning to all ladies of child bearing age: Please do not use any of these chemicals if there is any possible chance of you being pregnant.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #13
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the responses so far, guys! I knew there would be a wide variety of responses due to both personal philosophy and also because there is a wide variety of products that people use. But I do find the feedback very helpful.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #14
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

I just spray compost teas to kill insects so I don't wear protective gear. One of the main reasons I grow food is so I can get food that didn't have chemicals sprayed on it.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I wear shorts and a T shirt just because we are "supposed" to wear clothes.

I like using organic materials first, but will use Malathion and Triazicide when needed. I don't ever spray on a windy day and I always shower right after using any sort of poison. I don't live where whatever I use could possibly get on a neighbors garden or anything else. For the poisons that I very sparingly use to get into the water supply - well, it's been a long time since we had an ice age or great flood.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote