Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2015   #1
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default First heirloom of the season

I got my first heirloom of the season I grew myself! Man o man I never knew Boxcar Willie was such a good tomato! And even though in another thread I proudly proclaimed the first one would be eaten in the field. I guess I lied! It actually made it inside and onto a BLT!

Now I don't know if Boxcar Willies actually are the best tasting heirloom, or if it just seemed that way because of the crap tomatoes I have been getting. But it sure was good!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #2
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear. Hope you get many more!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #3
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

My first made it to a BLT too. I had to wait until my hubby was gone because bacon is a no no now. But boy was it good. Now I am eating tomato miracle whip sandwiches. Dwarf golden heart was my first tomato this year. First in 11 years actually. Congratulations!!!!
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Congrats! That's not bad for a quick recovery, Scott.
How is the tomato crop looking now? Good set, after all the wild weather?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Congrats! That's not bad for a quick recovery, Scott.
How is the tomato crop looking now? Good set, after all the wild weather?
It came from a dozen plants I had planted early under a portable cold frame made of flexible conduit pipe. None of my crop tomatoes from the Red Baron Project are close yet.

However, The Miracle BPF I planted in the small 1/10th acre are doing excellent! Good set and healthy recovery. My green bell peppers are doing horrible. It was just too cold and wet for them for too long. My determinate Rutgers in that same field are doing good, but slower. I don't know how well they will set yet.

My south field is likely a complete loss. I went down yesterday to try and salvage something. The corn is gone. The peppers basically gone, and the tomatoes are barely alive. I replanted a bit and added fertilizer. we will see.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old June 29, 2015   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you have some good news to cheer you up for the not so good.... I guess the worst could be expected for the poorest field, it can only get better with time in your care.

One good thing, is learning that you have a variety that can come back after that kind of setback - Miracle BPF. Good to know, for future risk management, eh. There must be others, too.. I know I have the urge to gather up ALL the varieties that can tolerate our sweet climate.
Mother nature is helping me to select for pest resistant foliage, this year. Gee thanks ma.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Mother nature is helping me to select for pest resistant foliage, this year. Gee thanks ma.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old June 30, 2015   #8
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

WOW, are you in northern OK? I cannot believe the difference in the time of your season vs mine here in suburban N. Texas. New fruit set has just about ended except in cherry types and San Marzano because of the heat, so I can see what is left for this year beef steak heirlooms. What zone are you in?

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
WOW, are you in northern OK? I cannot believe the difference in the time of your season vs mine here in suburban N. Texas. New fruit set has just about ended except in cherry types and San Marzano because of the heat, so I can see what is left for this year beef steak heirlooms. What zone are you in?

Dewayne Mater
Central Oklahoma. But keep in mind this was a crazy season

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old June 30, 2015   #10
JetStar1
Tomatovillian™

My first two were a Mortgage Lifter and a Carbon. The Carbon (new to me this year) was fantastic and I already addicted.

The Mortgage Lifter has done well in previous taste tests, but lost out to the Carbon in round one. Plenty more tasting to come later this summer.
JetStar1 is offline   Reply With Quote