Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old August 13, 2015   #16
4season
Tomatovillian™

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++- I think the more time they have to grow the larger the roots will be. Just harvest before frost.
A quote from MOGFA ( Maine organic farmers assn )
Harvested sweet potatoes should be cured with adequate ventilation at 80 to 90 F. and at 85 to 90% relative humidity for five to 10 days to heals wounds on their skin, suberize the skin and increase storage life. Grube cured her sweet potatoes for zero, four and eight days in an empty, unheated greenhouse, watering the gravel floor to provide humidity. The day temperature was 85; night, 60. Roots cured for longer than eight days would lose excess moisture. We just put ours in the back room.

Last edited by 4season; August 13, 2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling no idea where the++++ came from
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #17
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
I know its a late post, but just wanted to add. Dug deep for thin sweets for a couple years then had an idea. There was an old concrete pad about 10 by 12 feet in the garden. With sides added and about 1.5 feet of soil/compost the digging is easy and no deep roots. Just take one side off and dig along the concrete base to harvest
I always try to grow them on thin soil over very hard soil. I've got clay that becomes concrete. that way they are very easy to find. The ideal is probably 8-10 '' of compost over concrete.

I once planted them in the best, deepest soil I had. Huge error.

In some places they are grown in big compost piles.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #18
zeagler
Tomatovillian™

I don't think grow bag would be large enough for s.p. maybe burlap sack. Sweet pot. are loved by deer & rabbits.
We love vines for our goats and cows. We just cut them when they start getting out of hand. Sweet pot. are amazing we grew some in pit run(gravel/red clay) they did great.
zeagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015   #19
ibraash
Tomatovillian™

Many thanks for all the info. Best.
ibraash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grow bags , sweet potatoes