Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old May 15, 2016   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 12 May 2016 Fern-Leaf Peony (Paeonia tenuifolia)

http://durgan.org/2016/May%202016/12...uifolia)/HTML/ 12 May 2016 Fern-Leaf Peony (Paeonia tenuifolia)
This beautiful perennial grows a bit larger every year.The flowers last a few days and are a beautiful deep red. It is expensive to purchase. Best propagated from a root. They are very slow growing in my area.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

That is one gorgeous plant that you have Durgan. I had one on the edge of my yard for years. We got new neighbors who did not know where the lot line was and they mowed it down not just once but twice in one month. That killed my plant. I sure do miss it greeting me each spring. I did try to replace it but not only is it rather hard to find, but as you said it is very expensive. It was about $60 a plant.
Thank you for sharing this plant with us.
Old May 16, 2016   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I am going to try to propagate from seed this year. Apparently the seeds have to be fresh and exposed to light for germination. I have not seen the plants in local greenhouses for sale.

I got my plant from a friend about 8 years ago. It was a quick shovel full with a bit of root. Hard not to like it.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote