Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 11, 2014   #1
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Default Sub-Irrigated Planter Box

I came across this project on Imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/yrkio?gallery

The pictures make it look pretty, and easy to assemble, but I suspect that in use you would end up with 4 inches of saturated mix/muck in the botton of whatever size container you used.
Perhaps if all of the plumbing bits were sealed, and the perferations in the black pipe were at the same level as the overflow, with the container mix in contact with those perferations, it would wick the water as intended.
It looks like a good start, but perhaps the design needs refinment?
Or, maybe stick with other proven designs.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014   #2
ricman
Tomatovillian™

Hello Jim,

In one of the pictures I noticed several bags of small rocks. It never showed in the pictures but if the rocks were poured in first and then the soil mix on top the water would wick up thru rocks to the the soil mix. I am not sure but I have seen several SIP's with this design feature.

Rick
ricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

They did a nice job on the exterior.
Would agree that they are going to have some issues with aeration and wicking though.
Rocks- If they are using them in the bottom, going to have issues much sooner.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014   #4
ricman
Tomatovillian™

Pea Rock and or gravel are used in the water reservoir of many SIP designs with a weed barrier placed over the top of the gravel or pea rocks and then back filled with potting mix. A drain hole is typically located near the top level of the gravel or pea rock. The potting mix wicks up the water allowing the plants to absorb moisture as needed. At least that's the idea...

Rick
Old June 11, 2014   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Look nice but I would recommend looking at the Larry Hall's rain gutter grow system - very similar but you don't have the mix sitting in water. I only garden this way (or else I have a totally brown thumb.)

This is my (shallow) raised bed using the RGGS ideas. The typical RGGS uses bins/buckets which is much closer to the example you are showing.

luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014   #6
ricman
Tomatovillian™

I am a big fan of Larry's rain gutter grow system myself. I have 8 of them with about 70 tomato plants going this year....props to Mr. Hall

Rick
Old June 11, 2014   #7
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Hey RICK! so glad to meet another 'gutterhead' over here!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricman View Post
Pea Rock and or gravel are used in the water reservoir of many SIP designs with a weed barrier placed over the top of the gravel or pea rocks and then back filled with potting mix. A drain hole is typically located near the top level of the gravel or pea rock. The potting mix wicks up the water allowing the plants to absorb moisture as needed. At least that's the idea...

Rick
Rick,
Yes, I know a lot of people do it, but rocks really have no place in container gardening, SIP or otherwise. In a standard container a bottom layer of rocks will create a perched water table effectively decreasing your container size. I am not sure what purpose it would serve in a SIP.
Can't tell from the photos if they were using the rock in the containers, but I imagine it was possibly used as a fill material between the watering tubes. An empty tube would be a better way to fill in the gap.
Old June 11, 2014   #9
ricman
Tomatovillian™

Hey you too Luigiwu. Best of luck with the rain gutters, I love them and so far the results are excellent. I just picked a 12 oz Big Beef a couple of minutes ago!!

Rick
Old June 11, 2014   #10
ricman
Tomatovillian™

Hello James,

You are certainty entitled to your opinion about the gravel. I personally don't use that system or gravel or rocks. But a lot of people do and have excellent results. I think someone should use what works best for them...That's what I do.....Like the old saying goes "There's more than one way to skin a cat"

Rick
Old June 11, 2014   #11
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Rick,
I have seen your garden pics, great stuff. Wasn't looking for an argument or suggesting you were doing something incorrectly. Merely sharing information.
Cheers.
Old June 11, 2014   #12
ricman
Tomatovillian™

Hey James not how I took it.......I have no problem with someone expressing their opinion. So trust me no hard feelings on my part....Good luck with the gardening...Rick
Old June 25, 2014   #13
george sr
Tomatovillian™

Moved

Last edited by george sr; June 25, 2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Moved
george sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2015   #14
Myronr
Tomatovillian™

I made a similar device for a large pot on my deck. I can pour 1.5 gallon of water in it, and it will be watered for weeks. Other pots have to be watered daily in summer.
Myronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2015   #15
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for sharing this information!!!! I'm looking for a solution to my barren backyard without having to put in raised beds and rip out and reconfigure my sprinker system. I have nothing but grass (with the exception of two small planting beds next to the house) and I wanted to have something like raised beds along the inside perimeter of the fence all around the yard. The problem is that I have sprinkler heads all along the perimeter, and I would need some kind of raised growing area I could keep about 5 inches away from the fence to prevent moisture damage to the wood fence. Either one may work, the sips or the rail system. Anyone have a link with good DIY pics for the rail system?
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote