Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 5, 2007   #61
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Nice harvest, but I'm more impressed with the look of your leaves. What are you doing for bug control. My beans are just coming up (first group got done in by the cold spell) and they already have bug damage. I have the worst luck with bugs and beans.

Last edited by bbjm; May 5, 2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling and what not.
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007   #62
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The biggest problem I had with beans last year was leaf roller caterpillars. They got out of control before I realized what the problem was. The solution was heavy spraying of B.T. I use the liquid concentrate which is easier for me to apply and seems to have more even distribution over the leaves. B.T. is totally organic control of several types of caterpillars and worms such as fruitworms.

As for the little bugs like flea beetles, insecticidal soap, neem oil or pyrethrin oil are solutions. Oils must not be applied in the heat of the day as they will burn the plants.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007   #63
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Pretty beans, Feldon.

I came home from a camping trip to find my sugar snap peas flowering. Yeah!
Old May 10, 2007   #64
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

My sugar snap peas are flowering. It snowed before they poked up from the ground and I was worried, but they are going good now. The regular peas don't have any blossoms yet.
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007   #65
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,

Dragon Langerie?

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007   #66
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I hear ya Craig re pea shoots, but nothing is as good as what you said originally, that is, sugar snaps. Snows are good, SSs are the bomb, IMHO. Very few ever make it to the kitchen
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007   #67
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Adenn1,

How are your Amish Snaps doing? Mine are about four feet tall and flowering. There are the first tall peas I've grown and I think I'll go back to the bush type again next year because they're faster producers. A lot of my summer stuff like beans, cukes and squash are on hold until my spring things finish up. I love sugar snap peas but I'd like them a little sooner so I can plant my butterbeans in their place. Those will take a while to produce, too, so I need to get started with them.
Old May 11, 2007   #68
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Michele

Amish snaps are now just coming along...about two feet tall...no flowers yet. I am hoping our recent trend of warmer weather helps. I can't wait to try them.

I just got all of my tomatoes and cukes in the ground yesterday. I realized yesterday that I failed to seed my County Fair cukes. I will have to direct seed these.
Old May 14, 2007   #69
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My peas around about five feet tall now so I expect them to stop growing any time now. I counted about ten pods today and plenty more blooms. I should be able to start picking in a couple of days. I'm really looking forward to them.

I'm not sure whether to blame the later harvest on the fact that this is a vining type variety or our wacky weather this year. Maybe it's just a combo of both. Anyway, I'll soon have peas!
Old May 17, 2007   #70
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Well, the Big Freeze really did a job on my peas. I will be lucky to get a few handsful out of three twenty-foot rows. There are some pods and flowers, but the plants are very stunted, in general. Gosh darnoodley. I love sugar snap peas. I usually have enough to freeze for winter use in soups and stir fry dishes.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007   #71
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Ruth--sorry to hear about your plants...I wish you the best.

I went out yesterday and had a couple of flowers...never had a snap pea in my life...so very excited to try them. I got take a couple of pictures for this thread.
Old May 18, 2007   #72
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm picking the first of my Amish Snap as soon as my son gets home from school today. He wants to help.
Old May 20, 2007   #73
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I picked and ate the very first young pea pod of the season today - yum! Many more to come as the vines are loaded with tiny pods and lots of blossums!
Old May 21, 2007   #74
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I ate the first of mine too. They were great. Worth the wait (everything is late here this spring).
Old May 24, 2007   #75
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

My plants were looking hideous so I pulled them, but not before picking some huge pods with mature peas inside. I've got enough seeds that I probably won't have to buy seeds this December.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote