Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 7, 2015   #1
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Kazoo F1

Last summer (2014), I made a cross between one of my nearly stable creations (Cherokee Purple x Summerpink) and one of Mark McCaslin's creations (Michael Pollan x Kozula #139).

This summer I grew out 3 vines of the F1 cross, and got two vines nearly identical, with high round or sort of egg shaped tomatoes; and a third vine that had larger, more rounded fruit. The slight variations between the vines must be the result of using the F2 pollen from the MP x K-139 plant in 2014.

These were picked fully ripe:

These were picked a bit before full ripe:

If you look closely at the tomato in the center of that second photograph, you can see the intermediately dominant skin striping characteristic from the Michael Pollan x Kozula #139 parent. Future segregations and recombinations will carry the skin striping more predominantly.

Here is Mark McCaslin's MPxKozula #139 (F2) that I used last year as the pollen donor:

Here is the Cherokee Purple x Summepink line that I used in the cross:

I got two takes, so I have plenty of F1 seeds to go back to in the future if needed. However, I have a few thousand F2 seeds at this time.

I'm shooting for cocktail to salad sized GWR and Purple/Maroon, heavily striped recombinations, egg shaped or heart shaped, whether blunt or pointed.

All three F1 vines were hugely productive, so I hope that characteristic continues as the inbred generations progress.

Last edited by travis; September 7, 2015 at 11:09 AM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Last summer (2014), I made a cross between one of my nearly stable creations (Cherokee Purple x Summerpink) and one of Mark McCaslin's creations (Michael Pollan x Kozula #139).

This summer I grew out 3 vines of the F1 cross, and got two vines nearly identical, with high round or sort of egg shaped tomatoes; and a third vine that had larger, more rounded fruit. The slight variations between the vines must be the result of using the F2 pollen from the MP x K-139 plant in 2014.

These were picked fully ripe:

These were picked a bit before full ripe:

If you look closely at the tomato in the center of that second photograph, you can see the intermediately dominant skin striping characteristic from the Michael Pollan x Kozula #139 parent. Future segregations and recombinations will carry the skin striping more predominantly.

Here is Mark McCaslin's MPxKozula #139 (F2) that I used last year as the pollen donor:

Here is the Cherokee Purple x Summepink line that I used in the cross:

I got two takes, so I have plenty of F1 seeds to go back to in the future if needed. However, I have a few thousand F2 seeds at this time.

I'm shooting for cocktail to salad sized GWR and Purple/Maroon, heavily striped recombinations, egg shaped or heart shaped, whether blunt or pointed.

All three F1 vines were hugely productive, so I hope that characteristic continues as the inbred generations progress.
Kozula is a very very talented tomato breeder doing her work in the Ukraine.

I remembered that in Reinhard's last list he listed and showed pictures of hers, but none were the#139 that was used,and his were K25-56, brown/antho and 62, brown/reds K 54-68 , PL and antho,K-54-70, long pointed green/gold which I liked the best, K54-71, orange/green and finally K-54-84, a cherry.

Your pictures look great so I hope you get what you want, but maybe you don't know what you want until genetic segregation has done its miracle work.

Carolyn
Old September 8, 2015   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

I got the Kozula #139 via one of the now defunct, or defunct to me, Tomato(geographics) forums three or 4 years back. I assume Mark got his K139 from the same source. There used to be photos of all the K-lines at that forum, but I have not been there for quite some time.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have nothing to add but came to this thread b'c I couldn't view your pictures in the Magnolia thread but can here.

Very strange, say I.

Carolyn
Old September 9, 2015   #5
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Ukraine? Isn't Kozula from Poland???
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2015   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post
Ukraine? Isn't Kozula from Poland???
Yes, I'm pretty sure she is.

I just went back to Reinhard's site to look at some of his Kozula ones, and he has it so you can't cut and paste, but what he said was.....aus der Ukraine.

Carolyn
Old September 9, 2015   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

That is so cool, that you can see the spot pattern in the unripe fruit. Can't wait to see the F2's, the parents look awesome as well as the F1's.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2015   #8
Runescape
Tomatovillian™

Well, how'd they taste?
Runescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2020   #9
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I know this is an old thread, but any updates on Kazoo?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote