Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 23, 2018   #1831
bower
Tomatovillian™

We have dropped into a colder pattern this week, with lows going to -10 to -14 C at night and windchills into -25 C territory, so I'm actually glad of the couple cm of snow we got last weekend and stayed on the ground - a scant cover for the perennials. It's been sunny and cold for a couple of days now - my greenhouse temp was up to 60 F yesterday and again today, but it was only 26 F out there this morning. brrrr! None of the containers have frozen hard though and nothing has been killed by the cold - there's one tub of odds and ends with a few nearly bolting lettuces, a cilantro stem with one green leaf left on it, a heavily pruned bok choy, chickweed I brought in along with the rainbow chard, leeks, kales etc.... none of it killed, just sitting there not growing ho hum. Except for the leeks and now the green onions which are coming on.

I have romaine lettuces in sixpacks which I'd like to pot up and put out there, but I decided to wait a couple of days until the minus teen nights are over and I can expect the greenhouse will stay above freezing at night.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #1832
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we got about 8 inches of snow overnight ending around 9am. tractor is in the shop, so am relying on the truck, and plow to keep things clear. we have another storm coming in saturday night to sunday morning that could be worse. high winds expected too. not going to be a picnic.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #1833
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Keith, how much snow does that give you for the year ? My son was at tech and there was one year they had over 200 inches

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #1834
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Warm night, day starting above freezing, sun shining!!! A great day to work on GH and enjoy the outdoors! Mid 40's forecasted. Me thinks much higher.

Update--into 50's. gorgeous day

Last edited by Black Krim; February 25, 2018 at 09:01 AM.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #1835
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

fridays paper has houghton county at 246 inches of snow. that is not counting the several inches we got yesterday. so, we are over 250 inches for sure, and have a fair chance of reaching 300 inches for the year.
200 inches is just an average year here.
how do people live here??????

keith
Old February 25, 2018   #1836
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

cold rain, icy mix to the north
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #1837
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

It could be worse, but I'll whine about it anyway. It's been raining here forever. We've been having flash flood warnings so often it's getting passe'. The ground is saturated, so everything is runoff. The rivers rise, closing one major road through the dahntahn area periodically. (That stretch of road is called "the Bathtub" for good reason.) Now they're saying dahntahn itself may flood. We're having landslides; Pittsburgh is hilly; some folk's houses have been condemned because the land under them is falling away. Where I walk in the park is a 1 km loop; at one end it's been flooded for weeks. I walk to the flooded part, turn around, walk the other way, repeat. One doesn't dare walk on grass; it's got a layer of water in it and all dirt is soft mud. I'm glad this isn't snow; it would be up to my neck.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #1838
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we got another 4 to 5 inches of snow overnight, not too big a deal. the primary issue now is the wind. we have 40 mph gusts blowing all that snow around causing really poor visibility if you have to be on the road. another concern was being able to keep my long drive open with just the plow truck. sometimes the high winds will pack the snow in tight, and its like trying to plow through wet cement. fortunately, i was able to clear the drive without an issue. my road is more than likely drifted in by my elderly farmer neighbors house. large open field with nothing to stop the wind. drifts can pile up in short order. gusts are now over 50mph.

this time of year late winter, our weather turns schizophrenic. we go from one extreme to another. warmer sunny day is followed by blizzard. next day is all nice and sunny, followed by another snow storm.
the good news is after today mess, we are expected to get some warmer sunny weather for several days in a row.

hunkered down in calumet

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; February 25, 2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: wind
Old February 25, 2018   #1839
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Gosh Nan, that sounds awful. I hope it eases up soon for you.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #1840
bower
Tomatovillian™

Cold and holding here with gusty Northwest winds. Just shoveled the trivial 5-10 cm from last night, pure fluff weighing nothing, but every bit of ground below is now sheer and slippery ice. Good word on the coffee grounds, I actually found some looking dry under the snow and still giving traction - all salt on the other hand has vanished and its meltwater is now a slick.

Reality check: greenhouse daytime high during the snowfall yesterday did not get above freezing. Tonight the outdoor low will drop to -16 C/ 3 F... plenty cold thanks. We have more snow coming on Monday night but that's okay by me. It's all the winter we got so far. Looks like we're headed for a more typical pattern, with highs closer to the freezing mark in the week ahead. Then I'll dare to put the lettuces out in the greenhouse!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #1841
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

"The rivers rise, closing one major road through the dahntahn area periodically. (That stretch of road is called "the Bathtub" for good reason.)"

Some dude kayaked down I-376 today.

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/...-epic-photo-op

Nan

Last edited by Nan_PA_6b; February 26, 2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old February 26, 2018   #1842
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nan, maybe Pittsburgh and Dallas could have a secondary Superbowl this year held somewhere where it isn't flooding. Fans and non fans could all attend just to cheer on the dry conditions
It's supposed to start raining here again tomorrow and like you wrote - the ground is already saturated. Flooding has been happening, three tornadoes, but no mud slides that I've heard about here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #1843
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Oh, Salt I'd attend just to get out from under the rain! Today there was a big bright thing in the sky; I forget what it's called.

I hope Ma Nature gets all this soggy out of her system before it's time to plant out; last year May & June were solid rain, with the attendant diseases.

Nan
Old February 27, 2018   #1844
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Nan, maybe Pittsburgh and Dallas could have a secondary Superbowl this year held somewhere where it isn't flooding. Fans and non fans could all attend just to cheer on the dry conditions
It's supposed to start raining here again tomorrow and like you wrote - the ground is already saturated. Flooding has been happening, three tornadoes, but no mud slides that I've heard about here.
A mud slide in texas? Yeah, more rain here, several cities have topped record rain for Feb and more coming. It's a mess. Bout time to pot up, but too tumultuous for the babies. Arkansas weather is like living in mars.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #1845
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
fridays paper has houghton county at 246 inches of snow. that is not counting the several inches we got yesterday. so, we are over 250 inches for sure, and have a fair chance of reaching 300 inches for the year.
200 inches is just an average year here.
how do people live here??????

keith
Wow Thats amazing amount of snow.

Keith i take it thats not an accumulated snow depth and that you get melting between snow falls

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote