Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 24, 2018   #376
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Nice Looking Seedlings

You seedlings look great. What are you using for potting soil?
Thanks

Last edited by friedgreen51; February 24, 2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #377
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

friedgreen51, Thanks for asking. Three seeds of each variety were sown Jan. 20 in 3 1/2 ounce cups filled with NAPA 100% granular diatomite absorbent Floor-Dry, part #8822. All seeds germinated. After the plants produced true leaves, each was repotted into an individual 3 1/2 ounce cup. Most of those cups were filled with a mixture of the DE and Miracle Grow compost from Costco. All have been given a taste of weak fish fertilizer. The above photo was made on Feb. 15. A few of those plants are growing well in 100% NAPA DE.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #378
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Here’s my contribution, Venus and Aztek micros
Aren’t they cute!
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 690A8877-F10E-4737-8DA5-C1BCE1C777EC.jpg (258.0 KB, 172 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #379
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Karen O, Beautiful growth and leaf color.
Old February 28, 2018   #380
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Default Sioux variety anomaly?

Here is a photo that shows two Sioux, started on Jan. 5, 2018. The plant on the left with regular leaves is from seed saved in 2014. That plant had been grafted to Maxifort. From it, seeds were saved and replanted in 2017. The plant on the right, with "wispy" leaves is from seeds that were saved from the 2017 tomato. Is it a strange anomaly, or, NOT "wispy" leaves?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato leaf anomaly.jpg (393.4 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Harry Cabluck; February 28, 2018 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Corrected start date from Jan. 20 to Jan. 5.
Old February 28, 2018   #381
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Harry. I'd say let them get a few more leaves and compare the upper leaves. Can we see a more complete pic of the one on the right? And are they in different soil? Lefty looks like he's got vermiculite. The rootstock of a previous generation shouldn't effect the new plant. Did you bag the blossoms?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #382
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Here's pics of my current in-ground tomato plants, which were started from seed back in October (with one exception, which I'll mention below).

Plant 1 is a relative unknown. Seed for this was saved from a really tasty heart-shaped tomato I had bought from Fresh & Easy many years ago. Only had a couple seeds left of it and figured I'd just plant them all. Also gave away a few plants from this. In hindsight, I wish I had chosen to plant something more interesting, such as one of the dwarf project seed lines.. Still, I'm curious to see what I get. No idea if the tomato was a hybrid.

Plant 2 is what I call "Zelinda's Pear" - I think I've mentioned this previously. Last time I was in Australia with my wife, we visited the farm of a friend of hers, named Zelinda, who had a really nice tomato plant that put out pink pear-shaped tomatoes - same shape as Japanese Black Trifele - that were just amazingly delicous. She said I could take a couple, and I brought one of the tomatoes back to the states and saved seeds. I only had about 10 seeds from it saved, and ended up planting 8 of those because I wasn't sure how prolific they'd be. All sprouted, and I ended up giving away quite a few plants. Hoping to get a good crop from this so I can save a ton of seeds.

Plant 3 is Orange Jubilee. Started out kinda small, but has started to finally put on growth

Plant 4 is a volunteer that popped up in my garden some time in late October. Pretty sure it's from the Black Cherry plant I had in the same spot last summer. Turns out it was just growing in the grass clippings mat that we had put down as mulch, so I re-planted it in the soil, and it has taken off. By far, the biggest I have in-ground aside from my Ildi plant. In this pic, the volunteer has grown to the left of the tall green stake and outgrown the 6-foot wall behind it.

This plant is an indeterminate that grew out of some remaining seeds I had left of the "Sleazy-A F2" batch from 2006. I think I had 4 or 5 left, and planted them all. Again, they were old seed, and I didn't think I'd get any, but I ended up getting 2 Dwarf and 2 Indet. I saved 1 of each and gave away the other two. This one is a really healthy plant.

This is my sole Ildi plant. I've shown a few pics of this, but it has grown so much since even my last pic. As you can see, it's so loaded down with blooms and fruit that I'm struggling to keep it upright.
Here is just one of the set clusters of fruit:
Old February 28, 2018   #383
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Default Nan asked

Nan, The blossoms were not bagged. Plant on the left in the photo above, shows DE, not vermiculite, on the surface. Both are potted in DE mixed with sifted compost. The 2014 and 2017 were started in DE. Both grown under same conditions, started under LED's and above heat mat. Have been reluctant to share any saved Sioux seeds from here, for fear of creating a weak variety, as this may be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato wispy vert.jpg (274.2 KB, 138 views)
Old February 28, 2018   #384
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

This is Sweet Baby Girl F1, a new-to-me in 2017. It was everything I wanted, being early, (July 20th) a more compact plant and round, red sweet cherries, and it will return.
Old February 28, 2018   #385
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Default Lofthouse varieties.

Here's a look at a few varieties supplied by Joseph Lofthouse. They were sown Jan. 20, 2018 in DE...three seeds each to the 3 1/2 ounce cups. After producing true leaves, each was put in its own cup containing half DE and half Miracle Grow compost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lofthouse group.jpg (261.1 KB, 129 views)
Old February 28, 2018   #386
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Harry, the two sure do look different. I'd guess one isn't really Sioux, maybe an accidental bee cross-pollination. I don't know which plant is the true Sioux.

Nan

Nan
Old February 28, 2018   #387
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Nan, The one on the left, looks more like regular Sioux. Perhaps the mystery seedling on the right was a cross, but for sure it is not an accidentally mixed-up seed. Aim to let this one grow to fruition, and will probably plant a few more of those seeds from the same envelope.
Old March 1, 2018   #388
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Nan, Although there will be no room in the inn, have planted five seeds of the 2017 "Wispy-Maybe-Sioux." Just to compare the leaves. Also, today, Stupice, in four-inch pot in coldframe has slightly open buds.
Old March 1, 2018   #389
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Harry, congratulations on your Stupice buds! As far as Wispy Maybe Sioux, you can put it somewhere less-than-optimum, since you're not relying on it to be a great producer.

Nan
Old March 7, 2018   #390
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Here's what's growing

These are a mix of tomatoes I'm trialing this year, it's a long list but I'll just grow 1 or 2 of each for taste test and save seeds if they produce. Not all of the plants are pictured. Here's the list is anyone is interested
Aunt Ginny's purple
Brandywine OTV
Cherokee Purple Heart
Elgin Pink
Hundreds & Thousands
Limbaugh's Legacy
Lithium Sunset
Mayo's Delight
Porter
Porters Pride
Red Barn
Riesentraube
Zluta Kytice
LSU Creole
Big Red
Hippie Zebra
Orange slic3 F-2
Orange slic3 F-3
WoodChips Yellow Cross from 2015
Cherokee Carbon F-2
Coeur De Surpriz
Porter's Pride
Porter
Cherokee Tiger

Better Boy

The two pans in the front is Louisiana Green Oblong Eggplant, the others are different peppers to make chow chow

7 Pot Primo

Big Mustard Momma super hot peppers

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion peppers

More BMM

Fatalii peppers

7 Pot Primo's in hydro, starting to flower

A few tomatoes on these old plants

Dasher 2 Cukes

Grapefruit from seeds

Lemon and Mandarin oranges from seeds

Over wintered Ghost peppers

Jalapeno's getting some sunshine