Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2017   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I am growing Black Cherry for the first time. Have harvested half a dozen or so tomatoes so far. Taste wise ,to me, it is nothing to write home about. I call it average taste.
I have grown several dark beefsteak varieties they all taste better than BC. They are:

Cherokee Purple, Black From Tula, Indian stripe and couple of unnamed varieties. One shown in my current avatar. I t is early too. I picked the first ripe one today. That is 63 days from plant out. 120 days from seed.
I'm sorry Black Cherry didn't work out for you especially since it was bred and devloped by Vince Sapp, former husband of Linda Sapp,Vince passed away from a heart attack, and that development was done in Fort Myer's FL, home of Tomato Growers Supply.

So tested and developed in an area way more humid and hot than where you are now. And yes, I do know what the weather can be like in both North and South Carolina since I know people who grow their tomatoes there.

Carolyn