Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 13, 2016   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default JIFFY PEAT PODS

I just started 16 Jiffy peat pods in one of their mini greenhouses.Reading up on the pods people are saying you must cut the netting so the roots will be able to expand.The complaint is the netting does not break down fast enough.I'm thinking maybe cutting a slit in the side before planting.Anyone use these and do you just plant or do you cut the netting?Thanks for looking and for any comments.Also do you vent the top,I plan on removing it as soon as I see any poke thru the surface.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #2
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I haven't used them for years, but when I did, I just cut the webbing up the side and then pealed it off. Same with peat pots, I would just peel the pot off the soil before planting. I don't want my plants roots to have to break through something in order to grow. I want to make as fast and easy as possible for them. Never had a peat pot fully break down and never had roots break through a pod netting. I am sure they can if given enough time, but why make them do it?
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I use Jiffy pellets which expand when wet and have a netting around them. I rip the net off as I transplant, it doesn't bother the roots as the net tears every easily but I have had plants that didn't grow well if it was left on.\ although I have had roots push through it. The peat flower pots that folks use to transplant into are much worse. I always remove that and chuck it in the compost.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #4
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Ditto what Jeannine said. I love the pellets and always remove the netting before planting. IMO the peat pots are awful.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thank everyone,I'll make sure the netting is removed.
Old April 14, 2016   #6
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

Jiffy stopped using netting a few years ago. They now use a spun poly fabric that roots can easily penetrate. If you are late potting up, removing the fabric can do more harm than good.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #7
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I have the spun poly ones and they still delay the seedlings. I buy them by the case and use them for everything but still take the fabric off. I have done side by side tests with it as I was sure it would be ok but it wasn't.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #8
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

I gave up on the lids. They were causing a fungus to grow in two of the five trays i have going. As soon as I seen the fungus i removed all the lids, watered them a bit and changed the direction of my fan. The issue went away.

I will be cutting the netting on my pods and also removing the peat pot on the other style. Based on what I have learned this year. The green houses are unnecessary. I do like the pods tho as they have almost germinated everything i have throw at them.

Next year i will just buy the pods in bulk if I can find them.
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have to use the lids if I didn't I would go nuts trying to keep the soil moist.
My problem is none of this stuff is made with any longevity or quality in mind.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #10
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have to use the lids if I didn't I would go nuts trying to keep the soil moist.
My problem is none of this stuff is made with any longevity or quality in mind.

Worth
Don't know how long it take to germinate tomato seeds but I'll keep the lid on and check after 72 hours to see if any popped
threw by removing the lid to see.