Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old September 6, 2012   #46
happyseedplanter
Tomatovillian™

Default Zucchini & Tomatoes

Zucchini and Tomatoes from Sue in England

Take two zucchini slice and saute until soft.
Place a layer in a dish and place a layer of sliced tomatoes over the zucchini.
Then put a layer of cheese-repeat the layer of zucchini then a layer of tomatoes. Then top with cheese and cook in the oven at 180 c until bubbly and golden.
happyseedplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #47
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Turkish Mashed Zucchini and Yogurt Salad - Kabak Salatasi

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : LowCal (Less than 300 cals) LowerCarbs
Veggie

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds zucchini -- (small sized), peeled and diced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
6 tablespoons full-fat plain yogurt
2 garlic cloves -- very finely chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt -- to taste
To garnish: -- imported black olives, sliced hard-boiled egg, tomato slices (any or all are optional)
2 scallions -- chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

DIRECTIONS
Place the zucchini in a large saucepan of boiling water and let continue to boil until very soft and let continue to boil until very soft and easily squashed with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain in a strainer and press down lightly with the back of a wooden spoon to squeeze out any liquid.

Transfer to a medium-size bowl and mash with a fork, then stir in the olive oil, yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice and season with salt. Arrange on a platter and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving cool or at room temperature.

Garnish with black olives, egg slices, scallions and dill, and/or tomato slices.

Makes 8 servings as meze, or starter

AuthorNote: This Turkish meze called 'kabak saltasi' is a cooked and mashed zucchini salad. Its preparation is very simple, yet very flavorful when you use naturally sweet small fresh zucchini and a good-quality yogurt.

Cuisine:
"Turkish"
Source:
"Little Foods of the Mediterranean by Clifford A. Wright, 2003"
S(Formatted by Chupa Babi):
"Sept 2012"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 39 Calories; 2g Fat (45.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 9mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 797 0 0 0 0
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #48
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Apulia Poor People's Summer Squash

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : LowCal (Less than 300 cals) LowerCarbs
Vegan

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds zucchini -- or other summer squash, ends trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
salt
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Sprinkle the squash with salt, arrange on a paper towel-covered wooden board, and leave in direct sunlight until they are dry, blotting occasionally with paper towels.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it begins to smoke. Cook the squash in one layer, if possible, until golden on at least one side, 8 to 10 minutes, tossing a few times. Remove the squash from the skillet with a slotted spoon, letting the excess oil drip back into the skillet, and transfer to a serving platter or bowl.

Add the vinegar to the skillet with the oil and boil until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of it over the squash and leave, covered with plastic wrap, at room temperature for 24 hours before serving. Discard the remaining liquid.

Makes 4 small meze servings, as a starter

AuthorNote: This simple recipe called 'zucchette alla proverella', from the region of Apulia in southern Italy, is excellent in the summer when you don't want to serve steaming hot food and when delicious baby zucchini are being harvested. In Apulia, they serve the dish as part of a 'taviola calda', a buffet table with many different dishes served at room temperature. This recipe can be made with any kind of summer squash.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Source:
"Little Foods of the Mediterranean by Clifford A. Wright, 2003"
S(Formatted by Chupa Babi):
"Sept 2012"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 203 Calories; 20g Fat (86.4% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 5mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Vegetable; 4 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0
Old September 16, 2012   #49
happyseedplanter
Tomatovillian™

How do you store leftover Zucchini chips if you made to many and can't eat them all?
happyseedplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2012   #50
Zana
Tomatovillian™

If it was me, I'd be storing them in an airtight container lined in paper towel to absorb any excess moisture....hopefully they stay crispy then.
Old November 18, 2012   #51
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

All these are making me hungry and I just ate breakfast.

I have three zucchini plants, and I love zucchini a couple of simple ways. Favorite is either lengthwise planks on the grill or planks or long wedges (like pickle spear shape) in my cast iron grill pan. I can get ore wedges cooked at a time than planks. I spray the with my olive oil sprayer gizmo, a little salt and pepper, and a little supermarket balsamic glaze ( nothing too pricy) gives a nice flavor. Lately smoked black peppercorns are my favorite condiment, and a little ground smoked pepper and dash of cuin made up for the lack of charcoal char.

I have also either grated on a box grater, unpeeled, and sautéed the grated zuke and used as a pasta like side dishi. A little lemon peel and lemon juice at serving, or mint or basil, give it some bright flavor. Have also used zucchini interlayered with lasagna noodles (or eggplant).

The massage therapist was telling me Wednesday that her mom used to grow tomatoes and zucchini on their terrace in Germany, and that zucchini stuffed with sausage was a tradition on her birthday in late September. She says she longs for some fully grown large zucchini instead of how small they are usually picked; I will see if I can get some for her.

Never thought of mashed zucchini, and elsewhere on this site I saw zucchini stuffed tomatoes. Good stuff! Will have to try. - Ann
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #52
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

See here
http://www.practicalkitchen.com/seas...overload.shtml
Old November 18, 2012   #53
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Moshou! I shouldn't have looked at the zucchini dessert ideas. They sound wonderful, though. Why should carrot cake have all the attention?
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #54
Zana
Tomatovillian™

This is from the Better Homes and Gardens website...

~~~~~

Pork Chop and Squash

Makes: 4 servings

Start to Finish20 mins

Ingredients
* 4 pork loin chops, cut 3/4-inch thick
* 4 small zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* Salt
* Ground black pepper
* 1 orange, peeled and chopped
* 1/2 cup bottled chipotle salsa

Directions
1. Brush chops and squash lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. For a charcoal grill, place chops and squash, cut sides down, on the grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill squash 6 to 8 minutes and chops 11 to 13 minutes, turning once, until squash are tender and centers of chops are just slightly pink (160 degrees F).
2. Meanwhile, stir together orange and salsa. Slice squash into bite-size pieces. Spoon salsa mixture on top of chops.
Old December 1, 2012   #55
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Grilled Zucchini Dip with Flatbreads and Crackers

Grilled zucchini, olive oil, garlic and Parmesan create a summery dip that’s reminiscent of pesto

This appetizer is like a zucchini pesto. It's also great spread on bread and topped with cheese or grilled steak.

Rori Trovato

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup olive oil
4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, stem end removed
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Flatbread, crackers or pita bread cut in wedges for serving
Yield: 4 Servings

DIRECTIONS
Heat the grill to medium high. Brush the cut zucchini with a little of the olive oil. Grill on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, until slightly tender and grill marks appear. Remove from grill and let sit until cool enough to handle.
Cut zucchini into large pieces and put in the bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic and cheese and pulse; drizzle in the remaining olive oil until a chunky puree forms. Season with salt and pepper and serve with flatbreads, crackers or pita.
Old December 5, 2012   #56
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Zucchini Crabless Crab Cakes

I love Crabcakes, so here’s one with zucchini (crabless) that’s pretty good. My wife hates shellfish so I make this for her and add in crabmeat with the zucchini for me. Here's a pdf http://www.hotwiredgardens.com/pdf/Z...kes_Recipe.pdf

2 cups grated zucchini
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (NO substitutions)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying

In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg, and butter or margarine. Stir in seasoned crumbs, minced onion, and seasoning. Mix well. Shape mixture into patties and dredge in flour. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Fry patties in oil until golden brown on both sides. Serve with Remoulade Sauce. If you really love crabcakes, you can add a little canned crabmeat.

Cajun Style Remoulade Sauce

1/4 of a large red pepper
1/2 stalk of celery
1 green onion (including all the green)
1/4 cup of fresh parsley leaves
3/4 cup of mayonnaise
2 tbs of dijon mustard
2 tbs of ketchup
2 tbs of horseradish
a couple shakes of worstershire sauce
a couple shakes of tobasco sauce
2 tsp of paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Puree in food processor or blender until smooth.

Hotwired

Last edited by Hotwired; December 5, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #57
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default Vegetarian Zucchini Pizza

Slice those zucchini, that grew a bit to big, thin (about 1/4") and lengthwise and lay them on a flat baking pan with heavy foil on it. You may have to trim and over lap the Zucchini slices to get them to fit together like a jig saw puzzle.

Cover them with shredded low moisture, low fat Mozzarella cheese and broil just long enough to "glue" them together.

Then take it out of the oven and cover with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings.

Top with another layer of low fat shredded pizza cheese blend.

Bake at 450 till the top cheese melts and gets a nice golden brown color.

Slide the whole thing out with the sheet of foil onto a cutting board.

Slice with a round rolling pizza cutter when it cools just enough that the cheese tries to hold it together.

Slide the slices off the foil and onto your plate with a spatula.

Definitely a fork eating operation! But boy is it good!

Optional: (I usually don't use sausage or pepperoni because it gets too greasy without bread to absorb the grease. However if you do choose to make it with meat, choose only extra lean types.)

When my Dad had a heart attack we experimented with this because he had a strict diet ordered by the doctors. It takes a little getting used to cooking it right, Then another whole learning curve getting used to sliding the slices onto your plate, but well worth it once you get the knack.

It became a favorite of the family.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #58
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Scott, this sounds really good. I suppose one could think of different toppings to add, different veggies like peppers and olives. Also, maybe turkey pepperoni would have less grease and would work.
Old December 6, 2012   #59
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Vegetarian Zucchini Pizza sounds great. I might try it with the Zucchini on a low-carb whole wheat wrap. That would create a nice crisp crust. I still have a couple of Zucchini in the hoophouse.
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #60
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Scott, this sounds really good. I suppose one could think of different toppings to add, different veggies like peppers and olives. Also, maybe turkey pepperoni would have less grease and would work.
Well it is vegetarian recipe. But not everyone is vegetarian, even we were not necessarily "strict" vegetarians. But here are a few toppings we used

Black olives
mushrooms
onions
peppers (both hot and bell)
sun dried tomatoes
whole cherry tomatoes
basil fresh in whole leaves
asparagus tips
diced palm heart
pineapple

And a couple meats we tried:
fresh caught fish fillet strips
Oysters or mussels
shrimp (but later we found out it is high in cholesterol)
Grilled chicken strips
left over smoked turkey leg meat diced

You really might be surprised to find out you don't miss the meats though. We actually preferred the all veggie combinations. With no bread to suck up the grease, all veggie is much better. The fish was good. But fresh caught snapper or grouper is good no matter how you fix it! And we only did it with fish we caught ourselves. Didn't go fishing every day If you do use sausage or pepperoni, word to the wise, go VERY sparingly or you will have a greasy mess.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote