Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 25, 2014   #1
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Default 2014 Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing

I'm just the host (chief enabler), as this is your swap. So, it's time for some input on what you'd like to see.

For starters, there will be a Knock Your Socks Off category this year. It'll be your best tasting tomato of the year, or maybe last year (hopefully not a commonly available variety). Any size, shape or color will be allowed. I still have much to go over for categories from last year, whether all will be back this year, or not.

I'll post in the Wanted Varieties forum the same heading "2014 Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing". That thread will be for all of your posted wish lists. Your wish list can be up to 15 varieties this year.

As you who've joined in the past know, I'm very flexible about rules, as there basically aren't any... within reason.

Timeline for joining is now until about November 1st.

Timeline for posting your wish list is now until just before November 1st. If you procrastinate, and post a wish list fairly late, you may not get all that you're looking for, because some people will have already sent their seeds in.

Timeline for sending in seeds is about October 1st until November 1st. Please make sure your seeds are dry before sending them in.

I'll post a link to last years "rules" if you think you want to read through all of that. Since the rules were changed as we went along, it may be best to read from the last post toward the first to see what the final categories were.

I'm not sure if Heather can do a swap this year, and I don't want to butt in if she can. I will propose we have a very limited pepper swap within this mostly tomato swap. It would be your posting a wish list of 1 sweet pepper variety and 1 hot pepper variety, or two varieties of either sweet or hot.

More, later.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2014   #2
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Hi! Please sign me up! I don't know all the rules, or where to send things... I am already drying tomato seeds from many varieties. Also... if I have way more seeds than I need or could use, can I also 'sponsor' someone who is looking to start up their seed collection?
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2014   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I didn't grow any tomatoes this year to speak of. Can I trade some seeds from commercial sources?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2014   #4
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

okay this year I am definately in. Last year was too crazy for me and I couldn't get a grip on life lol....as long as I take my meds I don't hear the "voices" in my head anymore (just kidding).

I didn't grow anything terribly interesting though. Except my white tomato that we believe is a mutation (3rd year and it still produces white ruffled beefsteaks so it's not a cross). Next year I will grow less (maybe a dozen plants) but want more pastes. or anything unusual.

Tracy, maybe you have 2 year old seed? I know tomato seeds are good for a very long time. Up to the host though.
Old August 25, 2014   #5
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

I'm in! So excited! I'm going to start my wish list tonight.
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2014   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I don't "need" more seed, but I grew a few interesting varieties this summer, and it's possible I might finally have a greenhouse to start seedlings this winter, soooooooooooooo I'm in.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2014   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I wish I could join in on the fun, but all I would have to offer are seeds from my Porter tomatoes. Porter is probably boring to most people. It was bred back in the 1920s, is around the size of a golf ball, and it isn't sweet. It was developed to grow in high heat (Humid or Dry).

My fall tomatoes are Roma, Rutgers, Large Red Cherry, Jelly Bean, Old German, Green Zebra, and Homestead. Most of those varieties are ancient zzz (Except for Tom's Green Zebra of course.)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2014   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Hey A Little Salt,

Please join in the fun! I don't have Porter and I'm sure that many other people don't have it either. Start saving some seeds and fermenting them whenever you have a ripe one.

Last year we had to send in ten packets of ten seeds in whichever category we wanted to participate.

Hopefully, Garry will put up the categories soon.

I bet a lot of newbies living in high-heat areas would LOVE to have some Porter!

Tracy, You're in too, as commercial seeds are definitely allowed!

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; August 26, 2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: typo
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2014   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Last year we had the option of "sponsoring" members who wanted to participate, but didn't have a lot of seeds to send in. I'm not exactly sure how it all worked, but it may be an option for those, like you, who haven't built up a large enough seed collection yet.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2014   #10
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

I have a few not so common varieties, and have a few that I'm looking for.
Thanks for organizing this.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2014   #11
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

I'm in! Last year was a blast! I loved all the new tomatoes this season
Old August 26, 2014   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I wish I could join in on the fun, but all I would have to offer are seeds from my Porter tomatoes. Porter is probably boring to most people. It was bred back in the 1920s, is around the size of a golf ball, and it isn't sweet. It was developed to grow in high heat (Humid or Dry).

My fall tomatoes are Roma, Rutgers, Large Red Cherry, Jelly Bean, Old German, Green Zebra, and Homestead. Most of those varieties are ancient zzz (Except for Tom's Green Zebra of course.)
ALittleSalt,

Since you're new here, you do not yet realize that many of us are located somewhere between Waco and Wacko when it comes to tomatoes. Last years swap was 10,000+ packs of seeds distributed among 100+ people, with not only a few left over (seeds, not people), but I never opened one "ten pack" of Cherokee Purple (seeds not people, again). There likely will be plenty of sponsors to help you out. The hardest part is usually deciding one's 15 variety wish list. Everything else, well that might be a mystery. There is a Hot Weather category in the swap. Homestead would be welcome, there. I think Porter was requested last year or the year before, but no one sent any in.

Gary
Old August 26, 2014   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
okay this year I am definately in. Last year was too crazy for me and I couldn't get a grip on life lol....as long as I take my meds I don't hear the "voices" in my head anymore (just kidding).

I didn't grow anything terribly interesting though. Except my white tomato that we believe is a mutation (3rd year and it still produces white ruffled beefsteaks so it's not a cross). Next year I will grow less (maybe a dozen plants) but want more pastes. or anything unusual.

Tracy, maybe you have 2 year old seed? I know tomato seeds are good for a very long time. Up to the host though.
Last year I was on crutches or a wheelchair so didn't save any seeds because I simply couldn't get to the garden when tomatoes were producing. This year I had lots of volunteers from last year but they died when we went on a house hunting trip due to very high temperatures and an irrigation cycle that was missed. I had a few Carbon Copies but they looked so over cooked from being in that heat that I decided not to save them.
However, I have a whole bunch of seeds from places like Geckler's. Some are from 2012 but I would assume they should just be fine? They sent such huge amounts of seeds that I'm more than happy to share.
Or, is there somebody who could sponsor me? I should have plenty of seeds next year since I seem to live in a much better climate for gardening now.
Old August 26, 2014   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Hey A Little Salt,

Please join in the fun! I don't have Porter and I'm sure that many other people don't have it either. Start saving some seeds and fermenting them whenever you have a ripe one.

Last year we had to send in ten packets of ten seeds in whichever category we wanted to participate.

Hopefully, Garry will put up the categories soon.

I bet a lot of newbies living in high-heat areas would LOVE to have some Porter!

Tracy, You're in too, as commercial seeds are definitely allowed!

Linda
Thanks, Linda! I'm really excited!
aLittleSalt-I don't have Porter or Green Zebra. That would be more than fine for me.
Can we offer things like lettuce seed? I have a bulk package of my favorite mix. More than enough for my lifetime!
Now I'm going to Tatiana's to start creating a wish list!
Old August 27, 2014   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

For now, I'll post a few links to last years swap. Understand that there will be some MINOR CHANGES to be ironed out this year.

The main thread with 141 posts, if someone really wants to read them all...

www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28223

One post about mailing...

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=104

U. S. mailing rates have increased, so I'll post about that at a later date.

I'm also thinking about possibly mailing a single package back to a volunteer in Canada, where there might be about 10 sealed packages that could then be mailed out to other Canadians inside Canada, saving you all a bunch of postage. If any of you would like to combine a package to me, that's up to you. Since this swap is also (hopefully) going to be listed at Gardenweb, and I cannot post at the Canadian exchanges area, it's fine for someone to mention that Canadians are welcome to this swap.

A post about seed packs...

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=106

A post about categories...

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....0%postcount=78

I should point out like last year, that trying to locate your #1 wish list variety is priority one for this swap. All of the categories of trading, although the bulk of the swap, is optional as to participation. And, if you'd like to participate in one or more categories but don't have enough seed, we will see about sponsors stepping in.

Gary