Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old April 7, 2011   #16
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

The second batch is up & doing mighty well! The first batch I thought I over H2O2ed & then placed on too much heat are also coming up - slowly as I got disgusted with them & moved them off the blankie & put them still in their plastic shroud outside - 2 6-packs on one side have sprouts - tough stout little sprouts & the other 4 6-packs nothing yet but I am not so worried now that the second tray has come on so strong.

Note to self - 1 T H2O2 in about a cup of very warm tapwater for about 28 grams of parsley seed. Let sit for a few hours then spoon (ok fine sub slop for spoon) onto 6-pack cells, sprinkle with a t starting medium, moisten & coer in plasti bag & place on heat - no more than 8 or 9 no matter how chilly the downstairs is. Expect germination in <7 days.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2011   #17
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I soaked overnight and than kept damp on the ground just like carrot seeds. I let my patch go to seed and they've self sowed for two years now.
I have Italian flat parsley.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2013   #18
riceke
Tomatovillian™

How long is the seed viable for parsley? That could be a factor for germination too. This Spring I scattered seed from a couple of years ago in 4" container but very few seeds germinated. One year in the fall I cut back the foliage and seperated the roots and replanted in fresh soil and it actually grew new plants. I also have "wild" parsley growing around the area that I had planted parsley the previous year. It must have self seeded. And no it isn't poison hemlock.
Old June 6, 2013   #19
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

We planted mostly radical parsley and we use root and leaves too. These leaves are better by me.
Some comments to germination of parsley seeds:
1.Seeds of parsley germinate about 21 day
2.Parsley seeds best germinate best on the light
3.The lifetime of seeds 1-3 years
4.Specialy conditioned seeds of parsley are shopped for profesional gardeners only. They must be growing into 3 months most latterly. They germinate 7 days.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; June 6, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2013   #20
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried soaking my parsley seeds, but I had luck putting them in very moist soil. They seem to like things wet, I didn't get good germination on my parsley until they were nearly waterlogged. It did take a long time for them to germinate, but it seems like they didn't pop up from the soil until I thought I'd finally drowned them.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2013   #21
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I haven't tried soaking my parsley seeds, but I had luck putting them in very moist soil. They seem to like things wet, I didn't get good germination on my parsley until they were nearly waterlogged. It did take a long time for them to germinate, but it seems like they didn't pop up from the soil until I thought I'd finally drowned them.
That could be the reason. I'll try that next time.
Old June 6, 2013   #22
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks MrBig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
We planted mostly radical parsley and we use root and leaves too. These leaves are better by me.
Some comments to germination of parsley seeds:
1.Seeds of parsley germinate about 21 day
2.Parsley seeds best germinate best on the light
3.The lifetime of seeds 1-3 years
4.Specialy conditioned seeds of parsley are shopped for profesional gardeners only. They must be growing into 3 months most latterly. They germinate 7 days.
Vladimír
My seed may have been too old.
Old June 6, 2013   #23
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i thought that parsley seed was good for 5 years but a packet is cheap enough to buy a fresh one every 3 years. i soaked them this year but the germination is still slow tho maybe it was a little quicker. i cover the container with plastic wrap and keep it damp until they finally pop up. same family as carrot and they are a b&^%$ to germinate too!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote