Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 28, 2018   #76
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic Mark, just beautiful.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #77
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

What you do is so inspiring. Thank you for posting the pictures. I hope you continue to post all season.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #78
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I will post a pic of Karma Pink next week ladies. I just ate a Rebel Yell, it was mighty fine. It set fruit fairly early,I will label those seeds and pass them around this fall.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #79
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Unreal the fruit set you get! Jaw dropping.
Hear hear
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #80
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Oh my gosh Mark. It is a good thing that you are not a rocket scientist or our astronauts would be so far out of this world that they would never come back. Your greenhouse is just amazing.
Old May 29, 2018   #81
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Oh my gosh Mark. It is a good thing that you are not a rocket scientist or our astronauts would be so far out of this world that they would never come back. Your greenhouse is just amazing.
I just use the info that commercial growers provide, I am always looking to improve something.
Had a few weird spots on a couple of plants leaves, but it seems to be under control. Always something waiting to destroy tomato plants up here on the ice cube.

Thanks for the nice comments. This is always just for observation. I post what I use, how much, how I prune, my optimum temps, pH, varieties, then folks can decide to try the technique or not. I just pass along info that I have learned to my tomato friends, and someone was kind enough to pass it to me.
Old May 29, 2018   #82
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Thanks, the cold is wearing off now. It is actually 0.74 when we do the math.
Mark, does this mean that if I multiply the read-out from my Hanna by .74 it should be the same as what my Blue Lab is showing?

I'm hoping so, because last year something was off. I went by the Blue Lab and adjusted my injectors based on the read out. Only going with the BL last year, I think I was led to believe that my solution was weaker than it actually was, and I probably was pumping way to much fert, especially early on.

This year, I replaced my Hanna probe, and there is a significant difference between the 2 devices. In fact, if I do .74 times the Hanna, it is within 10% of the BL.

I've only been using the Hanna this year (and following the HG formula exactly), and my plants are the best I've had yet.

The Blue Lab is an in-line monitor that is part of the injector panel I built, so I always see it, but it shows lower PPM than what my Hanna hand-held shows. It'd be nice to convert that and do daily confirmations, and then pull out the Hanna hand-held and do weekly checks.

Last edited by PureHarvest; May 29, 2018 at 07:40 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #83
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

KARMA Pink photos?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #84
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Mark, does this mean that if I multiply the read-out from my Hanna by .74 it should be the same as what my Blue Lab is showing?

I'm hoping so, because last year something was off. I went by the Blue Lab and adjusted my injectors based on the read out. Only going with the BL last year, I think I was led to believe that my solution was weaker than it actually was, and I probably was pumping way to much fert, especially early on.

This year, I replaced my Hanna probe, and there is a significant difference between the 2 devices. In fact, if I do .74 times the Hanna, it is within 10% of the BL.

I've only been using the Hanna this year (and following the HG formula exactly), and my plants are the best I've had yet.

The Blue Lab is an in-line monitor that is part of the injector panel I built, so I always see it, but it shows lower PPM than what my Hanna hand-held shows. It'd be nice to convert that and do daily confirmations, and then pull out the Hanna hand-held and do weekly checks.
My BL is set a .700, it cannot adjust to .74. We came up with that number when we did the math between the ppm and EC on HG fertilizer, that way they matched.

I have a pile of those things and they are all within a about 100 ppm. My friend up the road has an inline BL, you need to make sure it is at least 25 feet inline after the mix is complete, Bill put his 50 feet. I like the simple stick BL, they are fairly accurate, and low maintenance. I calibrate my Hanna's pretty frequently, but observation is my main go too for determining where to go with my ferts. I am also sending in a leaf sample before summer sets in.

Hi Marsha, Karma pic coming real quick, the plant is looking good. I will give my spin on management of the variety.

Last edited by AKmark; May 29, 2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old May 31, 2018   #85
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Out of 30 varieties I have in this greenhouse, One tomato I picked today is NOT Mat-Su Express. Here we go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1894.jpg (384.9 KB, 190 views)
Old May 31, 2018   #86
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Wowee!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #87
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Folks, This is one big exciting bunch of reading about tomato growing! Thanks AKMark for all the postings.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #88
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Is that box ALL Matsu-express except for 1 tomato?

Seriously, if I let several large tomato get that red on the vine, each and every one would have a bird peck on it.

Your tomatoes and plants are just gorgeous.

Do you ever contend with Tomato Russet mites? If so, how do you handle it?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #89
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Is that box ALL Matsu-express except for 1 tomato?

Seriously, if I let several large tomato get that red on the vine, each and every one would have a bird peck on it.

Your tomatoes and plants are just gorgeous.

Do you ever contend with Tomato Russet mites? If so, how do you handle it?
They sure are Barb, picking every day now and are getting the rest of the greenhouses planted. I have a bunch of plants this year, so August production should be insane.

I do not have problems with Mites, only Aphid and a few tomato diseases, some of the diseases are horrible scary too. Only a minor issue this year so far and it is controlled.

Thanks for the compliments, but no need to do so, just passing along info with results.
Take care, will keep you updated.
Old June 1, 2018   #90
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Mark, just curious how you handle the sales of all those tomatoes? Do you sell directly to people coming to your greenhouses or do you do contract deliveries to restaurants or grocery stores when in season?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote