Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old August 6, 2007   #1
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Default Who's Bringing What?

BlueKat wisely suggested that we begin this thread so here goes. This is what I plan on bringing:

1. 20 Ground beef hamburgers
2. 3 Chicken's lying in barbaque sause
3. 1 wide box of Foil for the grill.
4. 1 bag of charcole (we will need more!)
5. 1 container Charcole lighter fluid
6. Modest quanities of paper plates and plasticware and cups. (we will need more!)
7. 1 Lighter
8. 2 rolls of paper towels (we will need more!)
9. Hamburger Rolls

And of course

Tomatoes!

I like the idea of bringing plates pre-named and we will need some name tags.

Greg
Old August 6, 2007   #2
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Trudi D. and Steve mentioned on "that other forum" that they will bring sharpies and plastic plates for the tasting contest.

My Sister-in-Law Suzy says she & her family can supply the birthday cake for my dad and a large cooler of ice.

Also on the aformentioned forum, Mary is mailing me tomato seeds for the seed swap. She will be out of town on the 25th but says she will not grow those varieties again and would like us to have them.

Now, as far as I am concerned -

1. More paper plates, plasticware, napkins, paper towels, and cups.
2. For BLT Bar: Wheat and Rye bread (since Mark is supplying Sarcones' Italian Bread from Philly); Romaine and Iceberg lettuce, Olive oil, mayo, and mustard; Provolone, Mozzarella, and Cheddar cheese; and of course bacon. I will probably need some extra tomatoes.
3. For the restrooms: soap! (the spot-a-pot has hand sanitizer, if I remember correctly)
4. Scorecards
5. Another bag of charcoal
6. Hot dogs and related condiments and rolls
7. Tablecloths
8. Wine (hey Greg, what about your homebrew?)

(I am so happy we have an Aldi store nearby - alll this stuff won't break the bank!)
Old August 6, 2007   #3
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Oh, and DH Dave and I will post directional signs near the park again.
Old August 6, 2007   #4
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

I think I mentioned this in another thread - I'll bring at least one calculator to tally votes.
Old August 6, 2007   #5
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecilia,

Ah yes!

I will bring Beer as well.

Greg
Old August 7, 2007   #6
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I thought I would bring down Italian bread and rolls...do we need any Italian sausage? I can certainly bring down plates, paper towels, etc.

I hope to drive down and unload all of the stuff at the park...then drive over to my hotel and maybe get any early check in...or at least park the car. (still working on hotel selection). I want to pick a hotel that I can get to the light rail from...a couple of the hotels near the airport offer 24 hour shuttles to the light rail.

Can anyone tell me how far a walk it is from the light rail stop outside the park to where the picnic area?
Old August 7, 2007   #7
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Mark, I would estimate it's less than 1/2 mile from the light rail station to the pavilions. The entrance to the park is immediately behind the light rail stop. Walk across the tracks (look both ways!), turn left at the park sign, continue past the ball fields and restrooms, and take a right when you see the pavilions & parking lots. We'll post signs.

My DH and walk around that park all the time.
Old August 7, 2007   #8
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Cecilia:

Great...thanks for your help...that sounds like an easy way to get to the park.
Old August 13, 2007   #9
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

Things are happening down in the garden. With any luck I will be bringing at least some of these:
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Kellogg's Breakfast
Black Cherry
Green Zebra
Magnum
Magnus
Mexico
Vinson Watts
Wisconsin 55
Ramapo
Ramapo F5
Cherokee Purple
Black Krim
Carbon
Nyagous
Juane Flamme
Brianna
Cuostralee
German Red Strawberry - mine don't look like the pics

I doubt I will have any Olena Ukranian, they are not looking too good. You will notice that Aunt Ruby's German Green is missing. I accidently sold all my ARGG plants this spring. If someone has extra I would love to take some home with me - pretty please!

I will bring labeled plates for my tomatoes and paper towels. What else do we need? I can bring a cooler, ice, soda - let me know!

-Kim
Old August 13, 2007   #10
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Kim,

A Cooler with some ice may be a winner because I am guessing folks will have stuff they need cooled. Just a guess though. Sodas would be nice as well.

On that topic I have water coolers that I use for camping and I could bring one with Ice and water in it. We could probably use more then one.

Also,

My tomatoes are kicking into high gear! I have a feeling that we will have no problem stocking the BLT bar.

Greg
Old August 13, 2007   #11
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

My tomatoes are not doing so well, between the blight and the drought. I sure hope the rest of you have some to make up for my lack of produce!

I checked my supplies yesterday, and I have plenty of napkins, small plates, styrofoam cups and bowls, and plasticware. I will buy some more dinner-size plates and plastic cups.

DH Dave will bring some hot dogs, rolls, and another bag of charcoal.
Old August 14, 2007   #12
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

My tomato update:

Blight and other fungal diseases killed two of the varities I had hoped to bring down...Tom's Yellow Wonder and Nicky Crain...I will bring down seeds of both though.

Two others were not what they should have been: Cherokee Chocolate turned out to be Cherokee Purple (not complaining--great flavor) and Germaid Red turned out to be either some cross or mislabeld seed--it developed bi-color fruit with average taste.

So I have Kellogg's Breakfast, Guido,and Ms. Maxwell's Italian left in the plot. My next door neighbor is losing most of the varities I gave him as he does not spray for diseases and the recent rains and hot weather nailed his plants. I will have to see what he has ripe next week.

I still have to visit one other gardening buddy who I gave several plants to...he was the only other person who followed through with my requests to keep the plant makers. Hopefully he will have something unique to add to my list.
Old August 17, 2007   #13
spkfero
Tomatovillian™

Since i'm coming from Michigan, and can't bring any tomatos, i'm bringing seeds for 31 varieties (over 100 separate packages).

Wes
Gold Medal
Italian Sweet
Wolford Wonder
Stump Of The World
Granny Cantreels
Earl Faux
Purple Russian
Polish Pastel
Rose
Joe's Portugese
Mikado
Milka Red Bul.
Kroska Pink
Lenigraisk Big
Red Robin
Orange Heirloom
Sophies Choice
Heathering Pink
Kosovo
Aunt Gerties Gold
Hughs
Red Barn
Mary Robinson
Burracker's Fav.
Polish Ellis
Red Penna
Kimberley
Yoders German Yellow
Green Giant
Royal Hillbilly

Possibly a few more.

See you there,

Gene.
Old August 18, 2007   #14
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gene,

Cool - All the way from Michigan! Quite the impressive seed list you have there. Looking forward to meeting you and talking tomatoes.

-Kim
Old August 20, 2007   #15
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Gene,

Any favorites in the group? I would love some Wes.

Greg