Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 18, 2017   #1
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Default Okra 2017

I was recently going through my okra photo file and was amazed at the number of varieties I have photographed through the years. Equally amazing is how few of them are still readily available.

This years' crop includes the following-Aunt Hettie's Red, Candle Fire, Jambalya, Sparkler, Lady Finger, Bill's Thick and Bill's Skinny. They're all good and the red ones turn greenish brown when cooked. I tried some as refrigerator pickles this year and haven't tasted them yet (the red sloughed off leaving some mostly white), but mostly we eat our okra fried. It's cut in I/2 to 3/4 inch pieces (smaller pieces get overwhelmed by the Seasoned Fish Fry corn meal breading) with diced tomato (it gets breaded too and it brings some tomato zing to the table). We crack an egg in the bowl and stir it thoroughly with the okra/tomato, then a handful at a time we shake it up in a plastic bag with the breading-trying to leave it somewhat separated and then spread it out on a plate. Hot peanut oil in a fry pan is waiting by the time we get it breaded...then it's cooked golden brown in batches. Deep frying is fine but we have a difficult time making use of the oil so we just go with about 1/4 inch of oil in a regular fry pan. This requires a little more turning but the end product is still delicious--especially with a little shake of Creole Seasoning salt. Sometimes we eat the first batches before we get to the table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017 Okra_Web_BorderWM.jpg (427.7 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Fried okra_border_WebWM.jpg (656.1 KB, 171 views)
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017   #2
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Yummy!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

That is very nice, Bill.
I like them red ones a lot.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2017   #4
MdTNGrdner

Lovely idea to add those tomatoes

I just sliced up a bunch of okra this evening and put it in the dehydrator; we'll see how that goes

Those are some neat sounding varieties, too!
Old August 20, 2017   #5
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Candle Fire is a new AAS variety billed as not being ribbed. As it matures it does have slight ribs and there's some color breaking in the pods. Aunt Hettie's from Victory Seeds is an intense red and I think I like it better, so far. I've crossed each with my Bill's Thick I also hope to cross each with Bill's Skinny. I might also cross the two reds. Then I'll have to find some new ground to plant them on.
Old August 25, 2017   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I pulled some and cut back my okra plants. I think in the dog days of summer the fruits got too big and tough too fast. I am hoping to have some tender ones from the new growth in fall.
Hopefully.

Happy Gardening !
Old August 26, 2017   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I pulled some and cut back my okra plants. I think in the dog days of summer the fruits got too big and tough too fast. I am hoping to have some tender ones from the new growth in fall.
Hopefully.
I haven't had that problem.
But they are on drip plus I extra water when I can.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2017   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I haven't had that problem.
But they are on drip plus I extra water when I can.
Maybe, I did not water them enough.
Now I see some okra on the new growth from the plants that i cut back.
The plant themselves look lush green and healthy.

Down the road from us, there is a guy that has like 1/4 acre under okra. Not a single tomato or pepper. I think he pulled his beans. But his okra plants are much smaller than mine used to be and they look so skinny and pale. If his plants produce just about average, he should be be picking a bucket full every day. I just wonder what he does with all that okra.

Happy Gardening !
Old September 22, 2017   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hopefully.
UPDATE:
My okras doing great. I do harvest few every other day. The plants look happier now than they did in the dog days of summer , and they don't need as much watering either.
Also they don't get woody as fast. And the plants are staying short too.

Happy Gardening !
Old September 25, 2017   #10
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Mama Payton's okra is another one that has produced since my original photo. I had trouble getting it established but it is rather distinctive with the darker green ribs. It's also a big plant with lots of branching-should be good for market growing (from Victory Seeds). Listed as an heirloom from Trion, GA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mama Paytons_Trion GA_Web.jpg (338.8 KB, 67 views)
Old September 25, 2017   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hurricane took mine down all but one huge tree like thing.
Will be collecting seeds from it for sure.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #12
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
UPDATE:
My okras doing great. I do harvest few every other day. The plants look happier now than they did in the dog days of summer , and they don't need as much watering either.
Also they don't get woody as fast. And the plants are staying short too.
An old neighbor of mine, who has since gone to that Great Garden, used to say that "when okra gets stubborn, ya gotta whip it." And he actually meant to take a switch and smack the plants a few times! He swore it worked. I'm thinking it might have stressed his plants enough that they decided they'd better get busy and start trying to reproduce!

Glad you got yours going again!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote