Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 3, 2011   #31
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

We're up to 59 participants. Anyone that has signed up was sent a private email or message from me with further detail. If you haven't received it, please get back in touch with me.
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2011   #32
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Heather, I'd like to goin in also.

Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2011   #33
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

So sorry if I missed this detail....I want to clarify...we send in 5 packets of 10 seeds, and no more than 40? So if we send in 5 packets, we get back 5 different packets according to our wish lists or seeds we do not have (and I understand, to the best of your ability, this is a big undertaking!). And if we wanted to send in 2 varieties, they should be 5 packets of each for a total of 10? Hope I'm not confusing the issue, thanks!
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2011   #34
owiebrain
Tomatovillian™

Count me in, pretty please.

CrackpotHippie.com
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2011   #35
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Hi Lakelady,

You have it correct. Let's say you send in 5 packets of "black cherry" tomato for example and 5 packets of "yellow brandywine". You send in 10 packets all together, and I send you 10 different varieties back. The intent is not to send you any duplicates back. (To the best of my ability of course). Could be any combination of tomatoes and peppers if you wish. If there is no wish list sent in and all you send in is tomatoes, then I will assume you only want tomatoes back.

I ask for no more than 5 packets of one type (ie black cherry), to try and ensure we have good variety.

Hope this helps.

Owiebrain...welcome aboard. Will send you my official welcome email with more detail shortly.
Old September 4, 2011   #36
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmacdona View Post
Hi Lakelady,

You have it correct. Let's say you send in 5 packets of "black cherry" tomato for example and 5 packets of "yellow brandywine". You send in 10 packets all together, and I send you 10 different varieties back. The intent is not to send you any duplicates back. (To the best of my ability of course). Could be any combination of tomatoes and peppers if you wish. If there is no wish list sent in and all you send in is tomatoes, then I will assume you only want tomatoes back.

I ask for no more than 5 packets of one type (ie black cherry), to try and ensure we have good variety.

Hope this helps.

Owiebrain...welcome aboard. Will send you my official welcome email with more detail shortly.
Excellent, thank you so much for doing this!

Oh and by the way, today I listed what I have and what I would like if you get any of them. The wishlist is now about 40 varieties long, so hopefully I'll be an easy one to fill ! (don't worry, I alphabetized it)

Last edited by lakelady; September 4, 2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: more comments
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2011   #37
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

We're up to 71 participants and we've only been at this less than a week.. Wow! Still lots of time for others to join in our fun.
Old September 6, 2011   #38
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Heather, once again I will not be participating and I post just to give you a sigh of relief and a smile.

Was it the first time out that you were madly trying to locate seeds and we communicated about that? Your memory is better than mine, I'm sure, b'c you're younger than I am.

And you sure get around, meaning, I see you've posted at every single place that I visit and sometimes post. At the one place there's still a big fat zero, but they don't know what fun they're missing.

And I'm glad that here folks are posting their reposnses b'c just recently I went back to offer seeds for two varieties that someone was asking for in the wanted Seed exchange Forum only to find that with no reponses there was a note saying the seeds had been found. Argghhhhhh!

So kudos to you for taking this on again and good fortune to those who are participating.
Hi Carolyn,
I am growing heirlooms on an experimental farm in northern Italy that specializes in tomatoes and chile peppers (over 500 varieties).
I am not sure if they are commercially available, but if not, i would be willing to trade some San Marzano (about as close to the original strain as exists ) seeds.
antichevarieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2011   #39
378j5
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to participate.
378j5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2011   #40
378j5
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to participate, but only once.

Last edited by 378j5; September 9, 2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Duplicate
378j5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2011   #41
FilthyRich
Tomatovillian™

Oooh goodie! I almost missed this. Count me in for this year please Heather. Filthy
FilthyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2011   #42
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Welcome 378J5 and Filthy...so glad you decided to dive in.

We're up to 89 participants.

If you've been lurking...don't be shy...come join us. The large number of participants will mean great surprises for all.

Thanks...Heather
Old September 10, 2011   #43
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone,

We're up to 91 participants with lots of time for more to join in.

I've received a couple of questions and thought it would be worth addressing them here in case anyone else was wondering the same...

- Green customs forms - do you need to put them on your envelope? - it really depends on your local post office. You can just toss the envelope in the mailbox as with any other letter and it will be fine. If you take it to your post office, and they ask you to use the green customs form..that's good too. Just write tomato/pepper seeds (whatever you're sending) on the slip. There's no worries here, as these seeds are fine for sending into Canada and customs will not have an issue with it.

- Is there a minimum number of seeds packs to participate in the seed swap? No. Only the maximum of 40 altogether with no more than 5 packs of any one type of seed. If you're just starting out and don't have much seed, this is a great way for you to expand your variety, and I would encourage you to participate.

Any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks....Heather
Old September 13, 2011   #44
Idahowoman
Tomatovillian™

I had a great time last year so I'd like to join in this year.
Thanks Susan
Idahowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2011   #45
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Idahowoman ! Glad you decided to join us again this year.

We're up to 98 participants. We're definitely on track for blowing away last years total of 109 !!!