Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2018   #1
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarfs only....

I am getting ready to start my seeds in the next couple of days. Here in southern Indiana I always plan to set out the plants early May or so. Mine are usually ready in 5-6 weeks. That works best for me.

As I moving to 4x8 raised beds I have decided to decrease my "tomato" area from 20-30 plants to 12 only. I have seeds from over 250 varieties including several dwarf project seeds. I have never grown any of these new dwarf varieties.

Not being afraid to try new things I am wondering if there are some "in the ground" growers out there who now only grow dwarfs or predominately so? Of course I will always sneak in Sungold and Black Cherry and maybe even hide a couple insurance Big Beef. So instead of growing the usual Cherokee Purple, DeWeese Streaked or whatever heirloom I am thinking about growing 10 or so of the new dwarfs instead.

Will I regret it?

Last edited by seymour_man; March 21, 2018 at 07:55 PM.
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think dwarfs produce about 1/3rd of a typical indeterminate's yield, but only take up about 1/3rd the space, Obviously some varieties yield more than others. New Big Dwarf yields wells for me. I really like Mano, too, as a red. My favorite dwarf project varieties are Tasmanian Chocolate, Sweet Sue, and Jade Beauty. They are all delicious.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #3
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

The thing is if I can grow outdoor anyway and have the space, I might as well grow indeterminate and get bigger yield.

Coastal Pride Orange was a success for me in term of yield. New Big Dwarf and Tasmanian Chocolate are excellent tasting, but yielded less.

Last edited by maxjohnson; March 23, 2018 at 03:33 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #4
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Im not a gambler, so for me that is too many of any one kind I have not trialed previously. It really matters how YOU feel about planting ONLY new varieties.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I'd certainly plant a few of the dwarfs. Victory probably has the largest selection in their online catalog, and very good descriptions. Heritage has quite a few, also. I'm very partial to Dwarf Pink Passion -- early, good yield, delicious, and good-looking fruit. Attractive tomatoes are quite important to me, so I tend to like the smaller, round-ish fruit. There are many good Dwarf Project varieties that you probably would enjoy.
GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #6

Default Dwarfs

Hi,

I have grown the following dwarfs:

Rosella Purple
Tasmanian Chocolate
Artic Pink
New Big Dwarf
Emerald Green

My favorite was Rosella Purple. Truly as good as any black larger tomato. I love it. The others I just though we average. However, New Big Dwarf produced so much I could not believe it. I tend to like a sweeter tomato and this was more tangy. Many people love the taste of this variety. I am not kidding when I say I got at least 70 big tomatoes from this plant. Every day I was pulling 3 and 4 big, beautiful tomatoes from this plan for weeks and weeks. I shouldn't believe it.

Best of luck,

Old March 24, 2018   #7
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have grown many of the dwarfs and have used them for my main crop in a garden that was pretty much on its own, being visited every other weekend. Besides all the wonderful variety now available, they are so much easier to manage as far as staking. I find them as productive as the larger plants, because the tomatoes are produced so close together. As far as some of my favorites for eating fresh, that would be Tasmanian Chocolate, Coastal Pride Orange, Wherokowhai, Dwarf Mr Snow, Rosella Crimson, Cherokee Tiger Large and Purple Reign. I like to grow several of the hearts, in case I am going to make a batch of oven roasted tomato sauce. My favorite there would be Dwarf Scarlet Heart, but there are several very good ones.

I say go for it. Allot a few of your spaces to them and evaluate how well you like them. Personally, I think they are a great addition, especially for space limited growing.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

The dwarfs are like any heirloom, a crap shoot.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote