Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old September 11, 2009   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Listada de Gandia

I have to say I've been very pleased with Listada de Gandia this year. I grew Listada de Gandia & Rosa Bianca this year. I've always read that Rosa Bianca is about the best quality-wise with mild, creamy flesh. Well, I thought Listada de Gandia tasted as good, and it was more productive by far. My Listada de Gandia plants are now taller than me, and they are producing like crazy! I didn't know eggplants could get that big.

Last year Italian White was my big producer, but it sometimes had some bitterness. The Listada de Gandia has not had the bitterness. It's also very pretty! I think I will be growing this one again.
Old September 12, 2009   #2
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fert1 View Post
My Listada de Gandia plants are now taller than me, and they are producing like crazy! I didn't know eggplants could get that big.
I'm looking to grow this variety, next year and it is one I haven't grown before.

A rough estimate? Is it just over 5', 5 1/2' or closer to 6'?

How do they do against flea beetles, or don't you have them?

When did you set them out and how long until the first fruit?

Any special treatments/fertilizing/etc?

Container or in the ground?
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2009   #3
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

I'm 5'6" and they are a couple inches or so taller than me. I did set them out pretty early, mid-April. We most assuredly have flea beetles, and they do love the eggplants. I mulched them really good early on and didn't have too many problems with the flea beetles until later in the season. By that time the plants were big enough to withstand the flea beetles for the most part.

I don't really remember when they first started bearing fruit. It seemed like forever, but then again, doesn't it always? I just know that once they started bearing fruit, it's been pretty heavy and constant throughout the summer. We amended the soil with compost pretty heavily at the time we first planted, but I have not fertilized since. Like all eggplants, they do love water, and I can tell they bear more heavily when I make sure they get adequate water. Mine are in the ground.

I've got 3 Listada de Gandia plants, and I would guesstimate, we've pulled 60+ fruits from those 3 plants, and it's still going strong. I don't know how that compares to what others usually get, but for me that's pretty productive, compared to other varieties I've planted. Overall Italian White probably outproduced it, but Listada de Gandia had the superior flavor and are a little bigger in size.

Does that help?
Old September 12, 2009   #4
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Where did you get the seed? These sound like they need a place in our garden next year!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2009   #5
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

I actually got my seed from http://www.tomatogrowers.com . While they mostly have tomato seeds,they also feature some eggplants and peppers. I think it's a common enough variety, that you could find it many places.
Old September 13, 2009   #6
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

They sound fabulous. The beach demands vigorous varieties. Now to try to locate some of those orange Turkish eggplant seeds. LOL! I was up until 01:30 pressure canning tomato sauce (having been told by DH we do not need any more salsa/taco sauce - 60 pints all from cherry tomatoes) & I am already thinking of next year's garden....
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2010   #7
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Talking bout growing Eggplant and attacks by flea beetles brings me to post about something I have observed this year in our community garden.
I watch over the 93 plots in our garden and noted that ONE plot had beautiful & productive eggplant with very little flea beetle damage. Had "some damage" but NOT nearly as much as the other plots. Many of the other plots had eggplants riddled with the typical flea beetle BB sized holes in most of the leaves. I asked the gardener what she did differently and was surprised by her answer! She dusted all the leaves with All-purpose flour!!!! yep...the one we all bake with! Doesn't matter if it's Betty Crocker or Pillsbury...hahaha.... That's it! Then, I searched the Internet for flour dusted on eggplants and there is a lot of evidence that it **IS** a good flea beetle treatment. I'm trying it myself next year!
LarryD
Old September 6, 2010   #8
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Cottonpicker,
thanks very much for this...I'm not enjoying paying a much as I have to for diatomaceous earth!
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2010   #9
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Good luck!!!! Sure worked for the lady I talked to.

LD
Old October 11, 2010   #10
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Default Listada de Gandia

Next year I am growing Listada de Gandia, Rosa Bianca, Thai Long
Green and maybe a white one again. I have never heard of an
eggplant getting that tall. You must have to support it. I'll find
out next year.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote