Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2016   #286
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Noah was you F2 Carolina Reaper crossed with something else or is it a plant grown from Carolina Reaper seeds you saved?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #287
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

I call it F2 only because it is from seeds I saved. Of 20 or so carolina reapers I grew out last year from saved seeds, this was the one which displayed the most desirable phenotypic traits (extremely gnarly pods with long tails.) This season I am growing out 7 carolina reapers from Smokin Ed himself and 16 plants from Judy at pepper lover. I will choose my favorite phenotypes from that selection and attempt to back cross them with my F2 plant.
NoahYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #288
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahYates View Post
I call it F2 only because it is from seeds I saved. Of 20 or so carolina reapers I grew out last year from saved seeds, this was the one which displayed the most desirable phenotypic traits (extremely gnarly pods with long tails.) This season I am growing out 7 carolina reapers from Smokin Ed himself and 16 plants from Judy at pepper lover. I will choose my favorite phenotypes from that selection and attempt to back cross them with my F2 plant.
Right on. I grew 32 Reaper plants last year and 2 of the plants showed extra gnarly pods with long tails. I too saved seed from those ones in hopes of capturing the nasty look. Donyoubhave pics of those peppers you saved seed from. Im just wondering how ours compare to one anothers
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old April 21, 2016   #289
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

I sure do... I saved the seeds from this pod in 2014...

IMG_8409.JPG
IMG_8765.JPG

Unfortunately last season, due to many circumstances, my garden was stunted last year, and I did not have any ripe pods from my reapers... I had to make the selection based on green, unripe pods which I did not take any pictures of... but I will say that the tails were exceptionally long on this plant. The green pods looked more like this pod from 2013 than their parent pod, except even longer tails!:

CarolinaReaper3.jpg

Last edited by NoahYates; April 21, 2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old April 21, 2016   #290
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Everyone's seedlings are looking good. I enjoy looking at all the pictures when I have time.

Noah, you are doing a great job on your seedlings. They look good.

I happen to like the looks of that reaper pepper. It is cute!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #291
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

This year I am not growing any peppers. I have enough pods, powder and sauce for last year to last me for a few year. I use the space for tomatoes.
Never grown Carolina Reaper. It looks so vicious.
The hottest one I have ever grown was Trinidad Scorpion. Last year I had close to 20 varieties. The mildest one was Hungarian Hot Wax.

Ok. Seedlings :
I have none. I have already planted out .

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #292
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Things are moving along quicker this year !

With excellent weather forecast for remainder of April here in South Jersey, we
actually moved them out to the hardening off stage only 29 days after planting
seeds !!!!

This pic is today's, 3rd day outside under umbrella shade 24 hours, which we'll
do for another 5 days or so.

After that, 7-10 days of partial sun (a little more each day, starting at one hour).
In other words, plenty of time left to get the beds in good condition. Things
lookin' better this year vs. last for whatever reason. Woo-Hooooooo !!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hardening Off.jpg (234.6 KB, 92 views)
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #293
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahYates View Post
I sure do... I saved the seeds from this pod in 2014...

Attachment 59263
Attachment 59264

Unfortunately last season, due to many circumstances, my garden was stunted last year, and I did not have any ripe pods from my reapers... I had to make the selection based on green, unripe pods which I did not take any pictures of... but I will say that the tails were exceptionally long on this plant. The green pods looked more like this pod from 2013 than their parent pod, except even longer tails!:

Attachment 59265
Sorry took me a minute but i found a pic of one of the ones i saved seed from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140808_143030 (800x600).jpg (156.9 KB, 84 views)
Old April 23, 2016   #294
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

Wow... that is a nice one!!

Here are 2 other pics of the 2013 Reaper that I eternally regret not cloning, over-wintering, or saving seeds from.
IMG_7460.JPG
IMG_7316.jpg

Last edited by NoahYates; April 23, 2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old April 23, 2016   #295
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Noah if you want some seeds that i saved from a few of the gnarlyier....if thats a word.....peppers send me a pm and i will send you some.
Old April 23, 2016   #296
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

I *finally* have a picture to share! I feel like I'm always late to the punch... Anyway, here's three week old Dwarf Arctic Rose seedlings that I'll be moving into 4" pots later today. They took off FAST once the weather warmed up!
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #297
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

I moved my 23-day-old seedlings outside for the first time today. I placed them in complete shade to adjust to the wind. I am accelerating the hardening off process, because the weather is warming quicker than anticipated, and I was alarmed to discovered some aphids scattered throughout the trays! I have found in the past that moving the plants outside can entice the aphids to "seek greener pastures."
IMG_8749.jpg