Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 30, 2013   #31
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Very nice arrangement drew51 ! Useful info for me as I am starting a new project this summer and bagged compost around here is typically horrible junk.. I like the "path" you left between the square beds. Good use of space. Is that a raspberry patch on the long side at left?

Did you treat your wood for color retention?

Can a math genius please convert the 2X2X2 to a gal size pot equivalent for smart pots LOL.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #32
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Can a math genius please convert the 2X2X2 to a gal size pot equivalent for smart pots LOL.

- Lisa
Type into google:
convert 2*2*2 cubic feet to gallons
and it will reply with 59.8 gallons.
Old December 31, 2013   #33
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Type into google:
convert 2*2*2 cubic feet to gallons
and it will reply with 59.8 gallons.

nice
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #34
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Very nice arrangement drew51 ! Useful info for me as I am starting a new project this summer and bagged compost around here is typically horrible junk.. I like the "path" you left between the square beds. Good use of space. Is that a raspberry patch on the long side at left?

Did you treat your wood for color retention?

- Lisa
Yes, those are raspberries. The wood is stained with an acrylic stain. A water based stain, not oil. Wash up is with soap and water. It's much like acrylic paint. Which i also use to paint the trunks of my trees to prevent sunburn.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #35
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Yes, those are raspberries. The wood is stained with an acrylic stain. A water based stain, not oil. Wash up is with soap and water. It's much like acrylic paint. Which i also use to paint the trunks of my trees to prevent sunburn.
I'd suggest 50% water and 50% white latex paint to protect your trees from sunburn.
Old December 31, 2013   #36
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that is what i used but some are suggesting full strength now. Also adding drywall patch compound to stop borers.
Old December 31, 2013   #37
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Yes, that is what i used but some are suggesting full strength now. Also adding drywall patch compound to stop borers.
Borers are present in the native environments of Apricots, Peaches, and other asian fruits. But the borers do not present a problem for the population as a whole in those environs. Looking at the mineral content of the soils, it is apparent why -- and similarly, looking at the lack of those minerals in borer-stricken orchards is often the problem.
Old December 31, 2013   #38
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I've actaully never seen one myself. I agree they go after compromised trees, but often young freshly transplanted trees are just that, as least for awhile. On GW in the fruit/orchard forum, which is a mighty awesome forum, I saw some studies about it. But I went as you suggested with a diluted paint. I have a number of trees I planted this spring. But that was before i read anything about this. I have both products on hand for their intended uses, and may use them next time. But with the planned move, no new trees are going in here.

To stay on topic a bit. I added three new sections to my raised beds. Little 1x4 ft beds to add beneficial flowers. You can see the additions in this photo. To the left and right of the 4x4 sections i added these beds, three in total.
Next spring I'm adding at the end of the 4x4 beds a 2x4 section for herbs.
That will bring the beds even with the far large bed. Making lawn cutting a little easier. At least that's what I'm telling the wife!

Here is a link to some beneficial flowers
http://www.dianeseeds.com/flowers/be...l-insects.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (579.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by drew51; December 31, 2013 at 05:48 AM.