Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 12, 2007   #1
cmpman1974
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Issues

Can anyone provide insight as to what is going on with these tomatoes? I had severe BER issues a little while back. This appears to have gotten much better. However, the bottom of some tomatoes have that white (though firm) splotch on them. I'm also having a lot of issues with larger tomatoes cracking.

Chris

cmpman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2007   #2
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

That first shot still looks like BER to me--just a milder case. It doesn't always look like the typical dark leathery-looking blemish we are used to seeing.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...WN:en%26sa%3DN

The cracking could be weather related-ie dry and then wet conditions can cause cracking.

Once an open crack forms it is just an outlet for bacterial pathogens (or others) to enter and that causes it to rot.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2007   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

On that second photo do I see a kind of depressed area coming down from the stem and is that sunken area kind of soft/mushy to the touch?

I don't know if it's a camera issue, but what i see in the second photo I don't equate with the white splotches I see on the two fruits in the top photo. Do you consider the white lesions on the top tomatoes the same as what I see in the second photo?