Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 18, 2007   #1
RenoRanger
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow leaves and brown spots (pics)

I've been having some problems with my tomatoes planted 3 weeks ago.

I can only guess bacterial speck or bacterial spot. But recently weve also been having cold nights in the low 50's and it is possible Ive been watering them too much. Or maybe it is something else.

So I guess my question is, if this is some bacteria on my plants, should I pull them or will they fight it off? I prefer not to use fungicides, if possible.

Or, if it is something else, what should I do?

Thank you for your responses. Any ideas would be appreciated.

(All of the pictures attatched are the same plant but these symptoms are true with the others)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2380.JPG (291.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2383.jpg (85.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2384.jpg (103.4 KB, 48 views)
RenoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I suspect flea beetles. Check the upper and lower surfaces of the healthy green leaves for pinhead-size black bugs that hop when disturbed. Here's a link to a good pic:
http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomolog...lea_beetle.jpg
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007   #3
Vince
Tomatovillian™

I am no expert, but my feeling tells me it is a nutrient deficiency or over watering. Moreover, the holes in the leaves look like insect damage, and I agree with bcday that it could be flea beetles. How often are you watering? If flea beetles are the problem, they will probabley leave the tomato plant alone when the foliage gets 1-2 feet off the ground. Just my 2 cents.

Vince
Old May 19, 2007   #4
RenoRanger
Tomatovillian™

Ive watered two times since I planted 3 weeks ago. But both times have been very deep waterings. The tomato plants are in raised beds with good drainage so I didnt think that would be a problem, but maybe so.

I inspected the plants but did not see any beetles. Maybe they have moved on already. (I hope)
RenoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote