Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 19, 2013   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Do You Have A Favorite Potting Soil for Peppers

Last year I used Cactus Mix, not bowled over my the results. I'm open to try something new, after all that is the fun of starting from seed. Anyone have a fave mix for peppers that stands above the rest. I am going heavy on the paprika and frying peppers this year, my garden friends always have hot to share.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2013   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The same one I use for tomatoes. I combine Mushroom Compost with Tomato Tone and some composted grass, leaves, and manure. Add a hand full or so of dolomite lime and, later, some generic 10-10-10 slow release fertilizer, or some Miracle Grow for tomatoes, and watch 'em grow.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2013   #3
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Metromix 360 straight, metromix amended w/local loamy sand (high pH here - 7.7)
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2013   #4
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

I start about 1000 peppers each winter. I start the seeds in SunGro Metromix 360 in 96 cell trays, and repot into 8-oz yogurt cups with Metromix 360 when they get true leaves. Once they reach 4" tall I repot them int a 50-50 mixture of Metromix 360 and Compost. My experience is that Peppers do not like potting soil with a high peat content.
<br>
If you like grilling peppers try Jimmy Nardelo. Slice them lengthwise, add a little olive oil and seasoned pepper, and then onto the grill. What a treat.
<br>
Old January 23, 2013   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

The potting soil I use to start seeds is a peaty one. I like it because it's local and organic and I have never had any problems with damping off. But it's a fact, peppers did not like it and the seedlings weren't thriving. So I bought some sand from the same folks, and tried mixing it into the potting soil. Pepper seedlings love it. I put a little bone meal into the cell packs with the sandy potting soil to get them started, and pot up into beer cups with the same sandy soil/bone meal mix, and they couldn't be happier.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote