Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old September 10, 2012   #16
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I tried 2 plantings of scorzonera from seed and neither one has survived. The 4 brussels sprouts plants are doing well, though. The beets are surviving, but some of them are getting scorched by the sun. The golden beets are doing much better than the red beets, and the ones in the shade of the tomato jungle are doing the best -- they may get some morning sun.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2012   #17
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Jeaninne Ann, you winter over favas(broad beans) in Canada? How cold do your winters get? I am considering this myself here in NJ and thought I should probably plant a dozen and see what happens. I have a nice spot at the top of a stone wall that even on the coldest days is a bit warmer due to the rocks. When do you plant them?
Old September 11, 2012   #18
plainolebill
Tomatovillian™

We started some scorzena and it all sprouted - we usually top smaller seeds with vermiculite during warm weather to hold moisture and avoid soil crust.

Out winter garden is all started except garlic - I'll put that in next month. We have Kweik lettuce, one set planted last month and some seedling in pots we'll put in and cover toward the middle of October for spring eating. Also beets, carrots, long black Spanish radish, lots of siberian/red russian kale, upland cress, parsips. I guess that's all. We will put in some radishes, probably next week.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2012   #19
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

Planted my Kale, onions, carrots, broccoli, turnips and cabbage about 2 weeks ago. Very excited for my fist time fall garden. : ) Might actually plant some green beans and just see if I can get a crop of the fast bush beans before it gets too cold.
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2012   #20
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

After the drought and extreme heat of June and July, we replanted cucumbers and green beans and a zucchini just to see if we could get something this year. The plants are doing OK, but it will be a race between a crop and frost. We are normally too far north for successful fall crops, but then this is not a normal year.
Old September 21, 2012   #21
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Days here have been warm and nights have been cool and things look really good in the garden. I'll be planting the last of my lettuce, spinach, radishes and endive this weekend. My shallots arrived this week but I'll plant those early November. My turnip greens and mustard are large enough to start cutting now.

I'm still picking a lot of my warm weather veggies, too--beans, okra, eggplant and peppers. I will dig sweet potatoes next month. When all this comes out, I may just keep planting lettuce in those spaces and try to keep going until spring.

So I'm beginning to feel like it's really fall. I got some pansies, violas, mums and a couple of pumpkins for the porch. Football and chili help make it feel like fall, too.