Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old November 15, 2012   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default broccoli raab/rapini

any tips on growing? better spring or fall crop? any specific varieties?

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

how about growing in a container?

Old November 15, 2012   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Chef

Dont know about your growing seasons, but I have grown it in containers easily.
Old November 15, 2012   #4
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

thanks

would 5 gallon pots get the job done?

Old November 15, 2012   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes, sure would.
Old November 15, 2012   #6
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Different question on same subject, if I may. When do you pick this stuff? I've grown it the past 2 years in raised beds. Just about the time I think it's ready to harvest, about 30 seconds later it's covered with yellow flowers. Is this just an issue of my ignorance, or possibly related to our extreme daylight hours, or ???

Thanks!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012   #7
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Different question on same subject, if I may. When do you pick this stuff? I've grown it the past 2 years in raised beds. Just about the time I think it's ready to harvest, about 30 seconds later it's covered with yellow flowers. Is this just an issue of my ignorance, or possibly related to our extreme daylight hours, or ???

Thanks!

Sherry
according to burpee

"Cut 6" pieces when the 'broccolis' are the size of a quarter."

i know this will prob not help but at least a general rule of thumb.

Old November 15, 2012   #8
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Jeff. I'm apparently not picking soon/quick enough! Not sure if I'll try again this summer or not.

Sherry
Old November 15, 2012   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post

Thanks!

Sherry
I wish I could explain it over the internet. The way you tell is by closely looking at the heads. Just before they bloom you will notice them swelling and becomming "looser".

Once the tighter heads become "loose" then you have only a couple days at most before they bloom, depending on weather.

I personally think the flavor JUST before bloom is awesome. I feel like the nectar for the flowers is already being produced. So I often let them go right to the razors edge like you did. However any experienced grower will tell you that is really too late. I also have blinked and missed it myself. Just one morning I forget to check closely and if unlucky by that evening it will bloom.

Go look at the grocery store. Those are picked even before they started swelling at all. Otherwise they would bloom even on the produce isle shelves.

Remember, don't look at the whole cluster, look at the individual flower buds in each head. Once they get to swelling and the head becomes "looser", the bloom follows fast. The whole head itself in Raab is small but the individual flower buds mature similar to regular broccoli.

I hope my ramblings help. It is just hard to explain on the internet. It is just one of those things experience helps.

PS. If you judge it wrong, don't panic. You can still pick it. It even still tastes good although the texture is ruined. But after you pick it, the plant will send out new heads, smaller but just as tastey.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012   #10
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Chef, such a timely thread! I have a bunch of these growing now, my first time, too, and had a similar question but couldn't think of where to ask (didn't occur to me to ask on this forum) or find the info. So, I hope you don't mind my adding to your question...?

How big do these get? Two days ago I stuck four seedlings into one 5 gallon bucket and have five others in individual 2L bottles (which could be moved, if necessary.) Will this work or have I severely overcrowded them?

And, great info on when to pick! (Assuming I get to that stage.)
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012   #11
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Scott -- Thanks for the further clarification. Based on the descriptions given, I've probably waited a tad too long to begin harvesting. But they do seem to flower much more suddenly than my broccoli ever has. We'll just have to eat faster if I try it again!

Sherry
Old November 16, 2012   #12
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I've got some broccoli raab growing in a pot along with a tomato. How big do these plants get? I really wasn't thinking, except for the fact that I didn't have any more space to put the seeds to grow! My 8 YO son keeps picking the leaves and eating them, so it may not matter!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012   #13
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Brassicas tend to grow large or small depending on light cycle, environmental factors etc. There really is no set answer...I will continue to grow as long as it can until triggered to bolt.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote