Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old April 8, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Walla Walla Onion

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YVZHF 8 April 2013 Walla Walla Onion
Thirty four Walla Walla Onion seedlings were planted in the outdoor garden.These onions were started from seed in the greenhouse on 9 January 2013. Onions can withstand some cool temperatures.These onion get large and don’t have a significant bite, almost as mild as a sliced tomato.. They do not store well. The ground temperature at six inches was 10C. . Onions were planted at 9 inch centres, and at the same depth as in the pots. The planting was accomplished without disturbing the roots. Pictures depict the operation. These onions were started in the greenhouse on 9 January 2013.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #2
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Your garden and plants really look great!! At 9" on center you should have nice big onions. I can tell by looking at the pictures that you really enjoy your gardening. My garden still has 2ft. of snow on it. I saw a couple robins yesterday so spring is comming! GOOD GARDENING TO YA YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2013   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to the forums.

Where do you keep your soil acidity at if you know.
I cant really grow long daylight onions in Texas I have to grow short day onions.

10 15 Y spainish sweet and a white one that the name escapes me.

Next year I am devoting a large area to onions.

Your soil looks great.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2013   #4
Kemp_l
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like Walla Walla Sweets. We used to see them growing all over the fields here but Like everything else, they are slowly disappearing. Almost gone actually, Just like the Apples, and Asparagus I guess. Used to be several Garlic fields too but they are gone also. Some times we can find them at the local farmers market here but seems to also be getting to be a rarity.
Kemp_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Garden area: Don't even bother measuring pH, except for my six blueberry plants. My garden soil is modified each year by the addition of vegetative compost, and the wood chips used for mulch are worked into the soil at the end of the season. Some years a cover crop of red clover is grown, depending upon the weather. So far there appears to be no nutritional deficiencies for the plants. Avoid all crystal fertilizers.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote