Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2017   #631
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Okay, so I tried out the Hozon this morning in the garden and had complete success with it.

Here is my setup before buying the Hozon. I have my water spigot about 15 feet from my garden area. There is a anti siphon on this with about 5 feet of hose, then a 50 PSI pressure regulator, then a pre-filter for the water with about 3' of hose, then a Boogie Blue Plus water filter. From there I have about 8 feet of water hose that then connects to a three way water connector. From there I have a 50' hose for the garden.

I use a wand for watering because I gives me the reach I need so as not to have to stoop in the garden and hurt my back. The water wand has a water shut off valve that connects to the 50' hose, then the wand connects to that. It's very easy to shut the water off as I move around the garden with it.

I took the wand off the shut off valve, installed the hozon and attached the watering wand to the hozon. Then put the hozon hose into a 1 gallon jug of water. I watered my flowers that weren't getting food and watched the water go down in the 1 gallon jug and I knew I was set.

I added 1 cup of TTF (16 tbsp) to the empty jug of water then filled it with water to the top. I put the Hozon tube back into the jug and went on to water the tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupes and cucumbers. It worked great. Then I did the same for the vegetable for everything else that needed fed. I really need to remember to use the TTF on the bell peppers because so far all they have had is the vegetable food.

Anyway, it worked perfectly. I did have to watch the tube to make sure it stayed down in the jug but it was easy to leave it on the ground right below me with plenty of length from the Hozon hose and the wand to water everything. Now I want to figure out how to make the hose held in better by drilling a hole in the lid of the jug, so it can stay in without as much baby sitting. There will still be some babysitting because as it gets low in the bottle you have to turn the bottle sideways to keep the Hozon tip inside the mix. It emptied the bottle though.

For now, I am quite happy with this setup. The solution would not be 16 to 1 because clearly I can't put 1 cup (16 tbsp) of food in the jug and also add back the 1 cup to the 1 gallon of water. I need a bigger jug so I can do better with that, otherwise it works out to 15 cups water to 1 cup of food. I'm stoked it worked though since I was normally doing it one gallon at a time out there.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; June 24, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #632
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am totally lost as to how you have all of this set up.

Are you carrying the jug around with you?
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #633
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I am totally lost as to how you have all of this set up.

Are you carrying the jug around with you?
Worth
LOL, I have a hard time explaining what I am doing, but yes I am. Today we went to Ace Hardware and I found a 5 gallon bird seed bucket that is sort of see through and has a lid. My plan is to use that to make my mix, drill a hole in the center of the lid and put the Hozon hose inside it. Then I can set it down and just work without it tipping over and spilling. The length of the Hozon hose and the length of the watering wand work very well together for watering. I can bring the bucket with me as I move around. Then I can store the hozon right inside the bucket.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 24, 2017   #634
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do you have any idea how much 5 gallons of water weigh?
41 pounds, can you carry that around?
Just asking.

Worth
Old June 24, 2017   #635
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Do you have any idea how much 5 gallons of water weigh?
41 pounds, can you carry that around?
Just asking.

Worth
LOL, I only plan on making 1-2 gallons at a time of solution. Yes, I can carry that but not 5 pounds.

I actually plan on marking the bucket every 1/2 gallon so it will make it easy to just add water and food without having to measure the gallon each time.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 24, 2017   #636
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Oh yeah, I wanted to come back and say I have a sugar baby watermelon that is growing really fast. I think it's at least 3-4 pounds now and I only planted a seed a few weeks ago. Hubby had to stand up on the planter box to hand pollinate a female flower this morning because it's so high up I cannot reach it.

One of my cantaloupes is turning creamy. Yay just a couple of days and we get to eat one of those babies!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 24, 2017   #637
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You are going to like that melon I hope.
I read about it falling off.
None of the melons I bought last week or whenever it was were worth a hoot to be honest.
Maybe one sort of.
Old June 24, 2017   #638
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You are going to like that melon I hope.
I read about it falling off.
None of the melons I bought last week or whenever it was were worth a hoot to be honest.
Maybe one sort of.
I sure hope so, I'd hate to lose it after babying it. I just came in from adding two more bags to each cantaloupe and bagging the one other sugar baby watermelon that has now shown promise of bigger things. It started raining while I was out there. I haven't been happy with store bought melons in a long time. However, the last watermelon I bought was better than they have been. Maybe as summer wears on we'll get better ones from the stores.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 30, 2017   #639
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

That melon was no good, it was way too early when it fell due to the sack breaking. It smelled awesome though.

I found these on Amazon and ordered some, I'll get them tomorrow and I'm glad it will be that quick because my other watermelon is growing like crazy too.

https://www.amazon.com/Glotech-Mesh-...on%2Bbags&th=1

And these reusable cable ties to tie it on to the trellis. I like these cable ties because the pawl is larger making it much easier to release them.

https://www.amazon.com/Releasable-10.../dp/B01KVVSDXS

I think I should prune the watermelon plant back, there is so much growth it is taking over the beans next to it. The trellis is surely not wide enough for it.

Okay update on Hozon. I used it again this morning with the bucket and it worked well. It's easy to feel the hose while it's siphoning the solution, but it's easy to pull to far ad pull it out of the solution. That's okay, easy to put right back in. Perfect, much better than mixing one gallon at a time and feeding each individual plant that way. I did remember to feed TTF to the bell peppers this morning so there is hope for me yet.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 30, 2017   #640
HBKitmitto
Tomatovillian™

I've been so impressed with everyone's testimonies about this fertilizer so I went ahead and bought some. I'm anxious to try it! My question is we've had heavy rain the past few days and I'm not sure if I should wait before I use it to let the soil have a chance to dry out a bit. What do you think? Will it hurt my plants to have an extra gallon of water with the fertilizer mixed in or should I wait?
HBKitmitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #641
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBKitmitto View Post
I've been so impressed with everyone's testimonies about this fertilizer so I went ahead and bought some. I'm anxious to try it! My question is we've had heavy rain the past few days and I'm not sure if I should wait before I use it to let the soil have a chance to dry out a bit. What do you think? Will it hurt my plants to have an extra gallon of water with the fertilizer mixed in or should I wait?
Use it when it's time to water.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 1, 2017   #642
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Update on my cantaloupes and their flavor after the mishap of the water debacle and fruit that did not taste good at all.

I cut open the fourth cantaloupe today and it was juicy and flavorful with a great texture. It smelled so good I took it to hubby to smell first before I cut it. I do truly believe this food has saved my cantaloupes from the compost pile, after their not getting the water they needed a a few weeks back. I thought I had lost all my cantaloupes.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 4, 2017   #643
cloz
Tomatovillian™

After reading this I decided to get a Hozon too. Used it the other day and it worked great. No fancy hookup. I just put an inline shutoff at the end of my hose, attached the Hozon directly to the shutoff and the attached my watering wand directly to the Hozon. I mixed up a 16 to 1 solution of Texas Tomato food in a gallon jug and inserted the siphon hose from the Hozon in the jug. I carried the jug in one hand and used the watering wand normally. The inline shutoff is only needed if I need to stop before I'm done. The siphoning works beautifully. Right down to the last drop if you tilt the bottle a little so the last bit of liquid is over the pickup. The Hozon has a back flow preventer built right into it.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #644
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Can anyone with the product tell me what calcium salt it contains? Should be written on the back. I can't find anything online.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #645
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Can anyone with the product tell me what calcium salt it contains? Should be written on the back. I can't find anything online.
Cloz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0896.jpg (53.8 KB, 152 views)
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote