Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 8, 2006   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default pimento peppers

I planted one just for fun. Finally peppers set but now what? They should turn red, currently they are quite large, green and look very heavy fleshed. Are they sweet and can I use them in my bell pepper jam? According to the weather, we only have a few days left so I don't think they will turn red. I think there are only 4 or 5. Thanks in advance - piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2006   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I've never tried to eat a green one but once they turn red (or yellow or orange), they are very, very sweet. All the pimiento varieties I've seen do have very thick walls. I think they'd be fine for pepper jam. I gave up on bells a long time ago and since then, I've used the cheese shaped pimientos in their place. If these don't turn red for you and your recipe calls for green bell peppers, I wouldn't hesitate to substitute these.
Old October 14, 2006   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing pimentos for a few years but can't find one that gives great results [as in production.] I use them for homemade pimento cheese. Once they turn red I bake them until skin turns black, remove from oven and put into paperbag to sweat a few minutes, then scrape off skin and freeze.

Anyone have a tried and true type that's very profilic?
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

What is pimento cheese?

And why are some of my peppers called red cheese?
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2006   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Pimento peppers come in more than one shape. There's a heart shaped one and a short, squat one that resembles a little pumpkin. The latter is what we call a cheese pepper, though it has nothing to do with pimento cheese. Confused now? I believe these were used for coloring cheese or the wax for the outside of cheese, hence the name.

I grow one called Sheepnose which produces really well for me. The fruits are fairly small, about the size of a large button mushroom, and is very sweet when red. Seeds are available at Heirloom Seeds or the SSE public catalog.

Then there are varieties called Red Cheese and Yellow Cheese. I think these produce larger fruit, maybe up to four inches across, but I have not grown them myself. I think these are available from Heirloom Seeds, too.

I hope that helps.
Old October 15, 2006   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I was just thinking about using the peppers to color cheese again and what I meant was, they used to be used to color WHEELS of cheese, but of course the pimento cheese has color from the peppers as well. What kind of cheese is used to make pimento cheese anyway? How do you make it?
Old October 15, 2006   #7
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Recipe for Bobby's Pimento Cheese

Bobby's Pimento Cheese
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1 cup grated Monterey Jack
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
2 to 3 tablespoons pimentos, smashed (this should amount to one large Roasted Pimento Pepper)
1 teaspoon grated onion
Cracked black pepper

Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add all of the remaining ingredients and beat until well blended. It can be used as a dip for crudite or as a sandwich filling.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 minutes Yield: 3 cups
VGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2006   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! That sounds a lot better than that stuff my mom used to give me out of the jar when I was a kid. I was afraid somebody would say to use Cheese Whiz. I think for that recipe, you'd actually need two or three of the Sheepnose peppers because they're on the small side.
Old October 15, 2006   #9
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that.

I am growing two or three Red Cheese and a few Red Ruffled, which I assume is another cheese type.

We don't make anything like that down here. I think I might stuff them with rice and things is they're big enough. Time will tell.

Cheers.
Old October 15, 2006   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Red Ruffled is a cheese type. I use these peppers in all the same ways I'd use a bell, so I think they'd make great stuffed peppers if you are growing the bigger ones. And even the little ones like I grow would be good that way for parties.
Old October 15, 2006   #11
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hi Bella,

Are Red Ruffled and Red Cheese productive? Oh, and how tall do they grow? Reason I ask is that I planted out two of each yesterday but have some leftoover seedlings that I could squeeze in somewhere. Do the plants need short stakes?

The only other sweet pepper that germinated for me is Chervena Chushka. SSE says: The best performing pepper during the record-setting cold and wet summer of 2004 at Heritage Farm. Bulgarian heirloom, traditionally used for roasting but also a great sweet pepper. Flesh is bright-red and very sweet, almost candy-like. Tapered fruits that are 2" at the shoulder by 6" long, ripens from green to brown to bright red. 85 days from transplant.

So I bought a Yellow Wax yesterday. Lol. This is my first year with sweet peppers, only grew a Chocolate Capsicum before, so I'm understandably excited
Old October 15, 2006   #12
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default More Recipes Using Pimento Peppers

Three-bean salad
MAKES 5 (1/2-CUP) SERVINGS

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup bottled Italian salad dressing or vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mild paprika
1 (16-ounce) can cut green beans, drained
1 (16-ounce) can cut wax beans, drained
1 (16-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (2-ounce) jar chopped pimiento
1 cup finely chopped celery

In a small, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, combine vinegar, Italian dressing or oil, sugar, salt and paprika. Heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, combine beans, onion, bell pepper, pimiento and celery. Pour dressing over vegetables and stir to coat.

Cover and refrigerate several hours before serving.

Pimento Cheese Sandwich Spread

1 (8 oz. pkg) reduced-fat mild cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (8 oz. pkg) reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (8 oz. pkg) reduced-fat process cheese spread in a loaf
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups fat free mayonnaise or salad dressing
2 (4 oz.) jars diced pimento, drained

Combine cheeses in a food processor just until in fine pieces; pour into large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients (except pimento) to processor and process just until ingredients are combined. Pour over cheese in mixing bowl and mix well; lightly process in food processor, if desired, to bring orange color throughout mixture; stir in pimento. Makes 1 quart of spread, or 32 servings (2 Tbsp each).

Combine cheeses in a food processor just until in fine pieces; pour into large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients (except pimento) to processor and process just until ingredients are combined. Pour over cheese in mixing bowl and mix well; lightly process in food processor, if desired, to bring orange color throughout mixture; stir in pimento. Makes 1 quart of spread, or 32 servings (2 Tbsp each).

String Bean and Pimento Salad Recipe

2 cups cooked string beans
1 cup shredded celery
2 teaspoons chopped onion
3 pieces canned pimento cut into small dice or Fresh Pimento pepper
Chopped parsley

Mix the ingredients, and blend with mayonnaise or cream mayonnaise.

Palm Beach Sandwiches
(a.k.a. Pimento Cheese Sandwiches)

Despite their genteel Floridian name, these cheddar-cheese- and-red-pepper-salad-filled sandwiches are popular throughout the South. Good cooks embellish them variously (substituting homemade red pepper conserve or diced green chilies for the roasted peppers or supplementing either with chopped pecans); hasty cooks don't hesitate to resort to jarred pimientos.

2 large heavy red sweet peppers
3/4 cup mayonnaise, fresh or purchased
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
3/4 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
16 thick slices white sandwich bread

1. In the flame of a gas burner or under a preheated broiler, roast peppers, turning them, until the skins are lightly and evenly charred. Slip the peppers into a paper bag, close the top and steam the peppers until cool. Rub away the burnt peel, then stem and core the peppers and finely chop them.

2. In a large bowl, stir together the chopped peppers, mayonnaise, green onions, lemon juice, mustard, and hot pepper sauce. Gradually stir in the grated cheese, mixing thoroughly . The sandwich filling can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate; return it to room temperature before proceeding.

3. Up to 30 minutes before serving time, lay 8 slices of the bread on a work surface. Divide the filling evenly among the slices, spreading it to the edges of the bread and using it all. Top with the remaining 8 slices of bread. With a serrated knife, carefully cut the sandwiches in half on the diagonal. Cover the sandwiches with plastic wrap and then drape them with a dampened towel until serving.

Serves 8.

Spinach and Pimento Omelet
(courtesy of www.aboutproduce.com)

1 box (10 ounces) spinach, frozen, thawed and dry
1 c pimentos, chopped
1 t thyme, dried
1/4 c scallions, chopped
1 t olive oil
2 T mozzarella cheese, shredded part-skim
2 c egg substitute, fat free
2 T margarine 1/2 c tomatoes, diced

Chop spinach; place in medium bowl and add the pimentos and thyme. In a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, saute the scallions in the oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach mixture and warm through. Return to the bowl, add the mozzarella, and set aside.

In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and water. Place the frying pan over medium-high heat and let stand for about 2 minutes. Add 1 tsp. margarine and swirl the pan to distribute it. Add half the eggs. Lift and rotate the pan so that the eggs are evenly distributed. As the eggs set around the edges, lift them to allow uncooked portions to flow underneath.

When the eggs are mostly set but not dry (in 2 to 3 minutes), spread half of the spinach mixture over the eggs. Use a spatula to fold the omelet in half. Cut in half and transfer to individual dishes. Repeat with the remaining 1 tsp. margarine, eggs and spinach mixture. Sprinkle each serving with about 2 Tbsp. tomatoes.

Makes 4 servings.

Cashew Pimento "Cheese" Macaroni

2 cups macaroni
1.33 cups water
1 cup raw cashews
1 tsp. salt
0.5 cup oil
0.33 cup lemon juice
4 oz. jar pimentos or Roast a large Pimento Pepper and use.
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic salt
3 Tbsp. brewer's yeast
1 medium chopped onion
2 Tbsp. oil

Cook macaroni according to directions and drain. Whiz in blender, water, cashews and salt. Add oil slowly while continuing to blend. Then add the lemon juice, pimentos, onion powder, salt and yeast and blend until smooth. Saute onion and mix with macaroni. Place in baking dish. Pour the sauce over the macaroni.

Bake at 350 Degrees for 45 minutes. Top with bread crumbs or wheat germ if desired, before baking.

Recipe taken from (375 Meatless Recipes)
VGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2006   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the recipes!
Old October 19, 2006   #14
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Grub,

I haven't grown the specific varieties you're growing but I've had pepper plants grow anywhere from 18 inches to almost five feet tall. I stake all of them.

If you like your peppers really sweet, I think you'll like these pimento types if you let them ripen all the way. I grow these instead of bells now because they're so much easier for me. By the time the bells ripen to red, gold or orange, they have that nasty fungus in them. That's never been a problem for me with the pimento types. Of course these are much smaller than bells, but I can usually pick about ten ripe ones at a time from each plant and I'm satisfied with that.

Keep us informed of your progress!
Old October 21, 2006   #15
Grub
Tomatovillian™

The peppers have stalled for a while during this cold snap, but I'll be sure to keep you posted.