Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 14, 2007   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default "Romanesco" broccoli in Mid Atlantic?

Well, it's too late for me to grow this for spring but I am considering it for fall. I keep reading how well this does up north but I'm wondering how it would handle my fall heat. Anybody near me ever try growing it? Thanks for any comments you may have about it.
Old April 18, 2007   #2
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

I'm really surprised no one has responded to this. It is my favourite broccoli to grow! I have grown only 'Minaret' but next year will try some of the others out there. We grow it during the winter months and it does just fine here. I'm sorry I cannot help you for the mid-Atlantic. If you want, I can send you some seed if you just want to trial it in the fall. It is SO yummy!!!!

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Tiffanie. I have a packet of seed here to try this fall. I'd also be growing it over the winter. If it grows well for you in Florida, that answers my question. What's the texture like compared to regular broccoli, any different? It almost looks like it would be crunchier. Thanks!
Old April 19, 2007   #4
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

shellybean- sorry, I missed that you were in zone 8 like me. I am in Tallahassee so we do have a similar winter.

Romanesco "broccoli" is sometimes called cauliflower too. It does have a broccoli flavor, but the texture is in a class of it's own. I am not very good at describing unusual veggies, but I would say when cooked, it has a very smooth texture. It is more solid inside, so it is more like the texture of cooked cauliflower, but doesn't have all the branches that separate. I admit, we have never eaten it raw only because the kids demand to eat it steamed immediately after it is harvested.

The flavor is very good, the texture is really nice, and it is really beautiful. The kids really like it because of the beautiful swirls and bright green "chartreuse" color. The only downside is, once it is harvested, it is done. Don't expect side shoots or resprouting. I did experiment with this.

What variety do you have seeds for?

Tonight I will post a pic of one we grew a couple of years ago.

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2007   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. This seed just says "Romanesco" on the packet. It looks like what you described. I have wondered if the texture was like that broccoflower stuff you buy at the store (looks like neon green cauliflower). Your description sounds similar so I'm happy to hear that. I don't mind about the side shoots. I'll need to pull these plants as soon as they're done to make room for spring stuff anyway. Thanks for all the info!

Last edited by shelleybean; April 19, 2007 at 10:09 PM.
shelleybean is offline   Reply With Quote