Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 12, 2010   #61
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Broken
I think the longer hotter areas tend to favor the blacks - but some are not that much to write home about - but Black Krim, Carbon, Black from Tula, Japanese Black Trifele, even Black Brandywine which I tried this last summer was really good flavored - remember a lot of the blacks are from the Crimson sea area of old Russia - start them early and give them lots of sun - but I know what you mean as some tomatoes that are great for others just never perform for me - an example is Momotoro I have tried it several times w/o much production or flavor - I think I am jinxed to get a good mater out of it - while others here in CA rave about it
Oh Well
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2010   #62
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Dennis...they also "Wax Poetic" about "Principi Borgese" and will pay ANY PRICE for them having heard how they are the "ultimate" drying tomato. (Should be against the law for these Chef's to read....)
Not hardly...in my opinion they are just another average cherry-type, have way too many seeds, are a real pain to keep picked and it takes bushels of them to get enough dried product. I grow them but charge way more money, just like the blacks. I have an "unamed" giant black heart someone sent me three years ago and it has really out-done itself and has good flavor. I think my palet is corrupt as I DO NOT like tomatoes, do not eat them raw, cooked, pickled or any other way so they all taste lousy to me! I favor Tula as well for productivity and size. I have a friend here who sells to the "fresh" market and she says they really like the weird colored ones and that they seem to favor paste types over regular types. She sells out all her blacks, bi-colored and pinks. She wanted me to accomodate those looking for larger quantities but I demured as I am not a "people" person and have no desire to sell to the fresh market.

If it were I, I would tote the "rareity" of the blacks and bi-coloreds (rare to those who shop only at the supermarket) and allow tasting (people think they can taste a difference, even when it isn't so!) A plate of "colorfull" slices at a stand is a huge attention getter.

I have a greenhouse and my plants are nearly three months old when they go out. I have no trouble ripening even the longest number of days plants.(I am also high desert and we get some real heat here.) I am really looking forward to my first growing season in Mexico...will be plenty long enough! I had three dumptruck loads of donkey manure put in right before we left for Wyoming for the winter (and after the last two weeks cold spell, I must be out of my mind! It was 85 there all this last week.)

I guess if I were new to market selling, I would just see what sells the best and grow only those varieties the next year. People's likes and dislikes vary by location it seems to me....Sorry you are struggling through another "California WInter"...(HEAVY DRIPPING SARCASM!!!) I rememeber when Orange was nothing but orange and avocado groves and there was nothing between Camp Pendleton and Anaheim except Irvine Ranch which was REALLY A RANCH!!!! My husband's Grandfather was the mayor of Anaheim when they were building Disneyland and my husband was born in Orange. I am a 4th generation cattle family kid and they have all left California.
Old January 15, 2010   #63
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

yes and I was born at St Josephs Orange also(grew up in Tustin). As a kid I rode my bicycle on the 5 fwy through Tustin to ElToro before it opened up - unreal how this place has grown - can't hunt rabbits in the orange groves with bow and arrow anymore - I hate the crowds and am going to Montana in 3-5 years - love the Wind River Range of Wyoming though
Dennis
Old January 15, 2010   #64
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
yes and I was born at St Josephs Orange also(grew up in Tustin). As a kid I rode my bicycle on the 5 fwy through Tustin to ElToro before it opened up - unreal how this place has grown - can't hunt rabbits in the orange groves with bow and arrow anymore - I hate the crowds and am going to Montana in 3-5 years - love the Wind River Range of Wyoming though
Dennis
Montana has one of the highest state income taxes in the country and their property taxes are 3X ours...just sayin'! I also go all winter with no snow to speak of (53 today and no snow....) I really miss the CA that existed when I was a kid but it is long gone.
Old January 15, 2010   #65
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Broken
Where are you in Wy
Old January 16, 2010   #66
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
Broken
Where are you in Wy
Far north, just inside the Wyo/Mont border. We back up to the Prior & Big Horn mountains (easier to say 45 miles east of Cody/Yellowstone.) Surrounded on 3 sides by mountains so hardly any snow at all. We do get really cold occasionally but then we get a CHinook (downsloping winds off the Rockies) and it will be fifty in January...just like yesterday! No state income tax, incredibly low property taxes and only 1/2 million people in the whole state. And over-all, ideal gardening conditions as far as bugs/diseases. Some years we get 150 growing days and some years 90...keeps it interesting!
Old February 13, 2010   #67
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

My son-in-laws mom and step dad lived in Cooke City for a few years - he was an engineer for the US Forestry doing studies on mining cleanup etc - that is just across the boarder from Wyoming - really remote - not too far from you =
they since moved to Bozeman and then retired in Seely Lake or Condon area

Dennis