Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 16, 2008   #31
dice
Tomatovillian™

Look through your seeds and see if you have any
Arkansas Traveler (or just "Traveler" or "Traveler '76").

This is a popular tomato in hot and humid areas of the US,
open-pollinated (so saved seeds will come true, assuming no
chance insect created crosses), with lots of reports from
different people of good production and flavor, and according
to the brief article below, fusarium wilt tolerance.

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant...o_traveler.htm
Old February 17, 2008   #32
annecros
Tomatovillian™

I did send Arkansas Traveler to him, and it was a commercial source. I also sent several cherries (Galina's, Dr. Carolyn, Sprite, Black Cherry if I remember correctly). I think Fargo and a couple of paste types are in there as well.

I didn't have enough oxhearts to share, but sent several beefsteak types (AGG, MP, Striped German). He could probably use some oxhearts and some early ripening. All my stuff is mostly long season.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2008   #33
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Anne...

I've been reading threads and learning much. The Fusarium Wilt and TSWV had me concerned for a while, but heck I've grown maters before. Some good advice was offered ....and I know some will perish. But, it won't be the end of the world. We will be having fresh TOMATOES !!!

As of now I'm finishing up my HACCP plan to present to the NCDENR and then smooth sailing.
Old February 25, 2008   #34
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Here's a picture of the Therapy Garden.... In 3 of the boxes will go smaller types of tomatoes, the others will still house our herbs. In the beds, I'll stakeout some taller type plants. By the fence, we'll grow some sunflowers. I'm also planning to border the concrete pads with a low growing strawberry.

-Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 213_6308.jpg (249.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 213_6307.jpg (179.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 213_6310.jpg (175.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by JimmyWu; February 25, 2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: more pics...
JimmyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2008   #35
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Coolness! Perhaps you should start a new topic in the General Discussion area to track your progress? I know a lot of people would be keen to follow along. How are those containers watered? I know it must get hot out there, with all that concrete. The toms will love that sun though.
Old February 26, 2008   #36
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks...We have water taps in the ground and sprinklers all over the camp, so drought won't affect us.

Good idea on the new thread, I'll start one asap and document the spring & summer.

I met with the NCDENR people today at a meeting covering health regulation changes. It's seems the HACCP plan was a bit of overkill, LOL. But, you know you have to be prepared. They told me it's more than okay to grow your own produce for use at camp and restaurants. They also okayed Farmers markets. They even okayed produce grown by John and Jane Doe if you know they're methods, And that totally blew me away. The one thing that we're told over and over is "Buy From Approved Vendors". One of the women, Judy Daye went on to say "It's an old myth that your can't grow and use your garden."

btw, Anne and Theresa congrats on being proud parents again !!! Your seedlings are sprouting up... Pics to follow.

-Jimmy

Last edited by JimmyWu; February 29, 2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old February 28, 2008   #37
annecros
Tomatovillian™

A HACCP plan only makes sense. God forbid you should have to implement it, but it is good to have, and you know it is there if you need it.

It's good to know you have the OK to purchase outside of the "approved vendors" (guessing SYSCO). That should open up a great opportunity for you to feed the little ones good food. Nourishment is more than a protein, a starch and a green thing on a plate.

Wow, you have that setup, irrigation, a landscaper on your side! Jealous, but pleased to know that my "grandchildren" will have a good home.

Just don't put to much pressure on yourself to perform. It takes a lot of trial and error to know what works for you.

Looking forward to more pics!
Old February 29, 2008   #38
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic of the grandbabies !!! 50 of the 100 planted so far... 20 types in all.

-Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 213_6320.jpg (114.0 KB, 29 views)
Old March 2, 2008   #39
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Aw, I just love baby pictures! I remember how excited I was when I germinated my first tomato seed.

50% germination at what, a week to 10 days, or maybe even not that long? Not shabby at all, good job! I hope you have room for 75 to 80 plants! Do you plan to do another sowing later for insurance? I am not sure, but I think Fall plantings are possible in your zone as well. I like to stagger and extend my growing season down here, but not sure what your windows are like for your growing season.

I even think I see true leaves starting on one of the seedlings on the right.
Old March 2, 2008   #40
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Hey thanks... I'm quite happy with the results so far ! 62 are up and growing as of now. We'll have plenty of room and hopefully more toms than I know what to do with.

Mater sandwiches, salads, salsas, sauces, slice and eat, are on the menu so far as well as putting them in sack lunches for the kids to take home at the end of the week. The rest will be given to the staff and let's not forget seed saving. The chickens haven't hatched...but they're dreaming !

After transplant, I should have them in the ground mid to late April. Which in turn might have them ready by July. So, I think another planting is feasible to extend the season.

On a side note I was reading Dr. Carolyns book, and how you can take a F2 seed and breed back to the original parents....truly magnificent.

-Jimmy
Old March 2, 2008   #41
dice
Tomatovillian™

Edit:
Content deleted (URLs of trellising examples, posted to wrong thread).

Last edited by dice; March 2, 2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: wrong thread
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2008   #42
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Jimmy! How is the project going? Thought about you and the kids today.
Old March 11, 2008   #43
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Hiyas... Well great minds must think alike !!!

I was planning on starting a thread in general discussion on the project.

Been very busy with my other job cooking, LOL.

Here's a couple of pics, the plants are about 3 weeks old (2/23/08 start date).

I had them in the shade yesterday, for about 2 hours. Some of the leaves turned purple as you can see.

I had high hopes of using NCTomatomans dense planting method and then realized... I'M NOT GROWING THOUSANDS OF PLANTS. Chalk it up to new
guy enthusiasm. So, I settled for 5 seeds per cell.

-Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 213_6481.jpg (222.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 213_6482.jpg (224.5 KB, 15 views)
Old March 12, 2008   #44
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Potting up soon then - exciting!

Do start up over in General Discussion. I think several will be interested. Do you feel comfortable now that you have approval about sharing more information about the camp? You guys are doing good work there.

I think the folks at the foodie forum where I ran across you would be pleased to hear from you as well. They were really interested in helping. A lot of chef's go onto that site talking about how they want to go "sustainable, local, grow my own so I have only the best" - but you would be amazed at the few who actually follow through, much less come back and say something.

Save those seed starting trays. I have a "JimmyWu" envelope set aside for you that I drop interesting seed into from time to time. Have you sussed out when is the latest you can start for your growing seasons? Also, I think NCTomatoman sells seedlings at the Farmer's Market every year, so you may be able to swing by and buy some varieties that you don't have from him - just in case you don't have enough - LOL!
Old March 13, 2008   #45
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Yes... potting up soon !!!

But, I'm going away Easter weekend and it has me a little nervous. I think I'll fill the bottom tray with water and hope for the best, Yes ? I have been spraying them twice a day, since they seem to dry out really fast.

I'll have to check when the 1st frost date comes, and count back from there.

I did talk to the Director yesterday, gave him an update and he was nothing but smiles. Masters and all, he's still a farm bred West Virginia boy !

I'd like to visit nctomatoman this spring at the Farmers Market. Hopefully, I'll be off for Tomatopalooza and bring some of our toms as well. If so, maybe you and the hubby can come up and I'll through in a tour of the camp. It's under a hour an 1/2 from Raleigh.

Some Chefs..."Talk the Talk and don't Walk the Walk". I'll continue to post and show them how easy it is. When you spend 14 or 15 hours in a kitchen, one hour in a garden will be a God send. I've been in contact with alot of chefs like Chef Anne Cooper an old protege of Chef Alice Waters. She has been nothing but supportive.

Alice Waters is dubbed the creator of the "New Californian Cusine." For over 20 years, her restaurant Chez Panisse in Berkeley has been doing the seasonal, locally grown thing. She also started a program to grow gardens in the public school system, where kids actually grow, nurture and cook what they grow. She has some vision, quite a inspiration !

-Jimmy

Last edited by JimmyWu; March 13, 2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention, Wild Boar Farms supplies Chez Panisse with Heirlooms !!!