Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 29, 2013   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedsavers Yearbook

I am hoping there are some pple here with memberships to the Seedsavers exchange. From what I can gather, there are some seeds available only to members via the exchange? I assume the exchange is through other members and not the actual seedsavers organization?

The reason I'm asking is I want to grow a variety of squash called Gialla Nostrale. When I googled it, it seems like its only available through the exchange. How do I know if it is being offered through it? I assume the offers through the exchange vary like its members do...

Thanks!!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2013   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

The exchange listing is public as far as I can tell and I don't see it.
https://exchange.seedsavers.org/catalog/index.aspx
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2013   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Have you gone to the Seed exchange forum and put in a request in the seeds wanted Forum?

If not go there and ask the question and if you don't get any hits one of us should be able to help you out.

Ami
Old December 29, 2013   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

When you search for the Gialla Nostrale squash, one of the results is a few postings over on Gardenweb FROM 2009. I can find no current listing with SSE. Apparently, Gialla Nostrale is a zuchinni with pale green skin. Perhaps one of the folks who have the 2009 yearbook could find out who listed it and maybe ask if they still might have a few seeds left. My net search did not turn up a listing or other source.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2013   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have the 2009 yearbook somewhere and when I have time and find it I can check it out.

I confess that I'm not familiar with the link above. It isn't the regular yearbook, I don't think, and for sure is not the public catalog and if the online I don't recognize it at all even though I know that Joanne uploads listings for the new yearbook to it, and mine are there but I myself elect not to deal with the online, and if it is I thought you had to have your SSE member account number, not your SSE code name to access it.

Carolyn
Old December 30, 2013   #6
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

luigiwu,

I had a 2011 Yearbook kind of handy. Page 290 left column Zucchini, Gialla, Nostrale
Last listed by a member in Missouri. SSE squash 5666. no description - Randy
Old December 30, 2013   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I PM'd a SSE member at the SSE forum and also e-mailed a former member from Italy who had listed it in the 2007 YearBook. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. Check the link below also.

http://www.sementilarosa.com/seme-bio.html

Ami

Last edited by amideutch; December 30, 2013 at 04:25 AM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

You guys are absolutely amazing!!! Thanks all for the help!
Ami, let me know if you hear anything back.
When I googled, it did seem like there was hardly any information about this species.

I'm starting to plan my 2014 garden - only my 2nd year gardening! I'm finally starting to understanding some of the love associated with saving seeds - there are so many and so varied! I want to grow everything!!

I came across this documentary about Seeds that is in works right now - I can't wait to see it!
http://ceseedproduction.wordpress.com/
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #9
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I have the 2009 yearbook somewhere and when I have time and find it I can check it out.

I confess that I'm not familiar with the link above. It isn't the regular yearbook, I don't think, and for sure is not the public catalog and if the online I don't recognize it at all even though I know that Joanne uploads listings for the new yearbook to it, and mine are there but I myself elect not to deal with the online, and if it is I thought you had to have your SSE member account number, not your SSE code name to access it.

Carolyn
Carolyn,

The link above, https://exchange.seedsavers.org/catalog/index.aspx is the link to the new format of the OnLine Yearbook. It has all of the listing that are found in the printed yearbook, unless the lister specifically requested that they Not be included in the Online version (I think).
The link is open for all to browse, members and non-members.
In order to see the names of the listers that are offering a particular seed, you need to login with your user name (email) and SSE Yearbook password.
Only seeds being offered for this season are listed in this link.
Previously, the online YB was only available to current, registered SSE members and had a Historical section that included all seeds ever listed in any Online YB; the new and improved Online YB has deleted this feature.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_OW View Post
Carolyn,

The link above, https://exchange.seedsavers.org/catalog/index.aspx is the link to the new format of the OnLine Yearbook. It has all of the listing that are found in the printed yearbook, unless the lister specifically requested that they Not be included in the Online version (I think).
The link is open for all to browse, members and non-members.
In order to see the names of the listers that are offering a particular seed, you need to login with your user name (email) and SSE Yearbook password.
Only seeds being offered for this season are listed in this link.
Previously, the online YB was only available to current, registered SSE members and had a Historical section that included all seeds ever listed in any Online YB; the new and improved Online YB has deleted this feature.

Jim
Perhaps one can opt out of the online but Joanne told me that all the Yearbook listings go into the online. I get around that by saying in my blurb that only requests sent to me via mail on the 2014 SSE request form will be accepted. Since I asked for ALL of my previous listings to be deleted and added back just 6 new ones, I don't expect many requests, which is precisely what I wanted to do.

I've heard nothing but complaints about the new online format, and not just from here.

I guess the ploy here is to up SSEmembership when folks find they don't have the info necesssary to request seeds and have to join SSE in order to do so.

Carolyn
Old December 30, 2013   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I guess the ploy here is to up SSEmembership when folks find they don't have the info necesssary to request seeds and have to join SSE in order to do so.

Carolyn

Those were my thoughts exactly -- they are dangling the carrot (seeds) hoping more of us take the bait.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #12
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Am I the only one that thinks that SSE have changed and likely lost direction. I've been a member off and on over the last few year. I thought the goal was to preserve varieties that weren't in commercial circulation. I now feel this is no longer the goal and I'm not sure what the goal is -- maybe to look important to themselves.

The think about preserving varieties is if there no one has easy access to them they aren't really preserved.
Old December 30, 2013   #13
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that SSE have changed and likely lost direction. I've been a member off and on over the last few year. I thought the goal was to preserve varieties that weren't in commercial circulation. I now feel this is no longer the goal and I'm not sure what the goal is -- maybe to look important to themselves.

The think about preserving varieties is if there no one has easy access to them they aren't really preserved.

Or, maybe with so many smaller seed vendors able to reach wider audiences via the Internet, and free forums like this one where members can trade for the seeds they can't get elsewhere, there are not as many varieties that are no longer "in commercial circulation" and require a paid membership to find.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #14
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

That and I suspect that other than SSE themselves once a person had one year book they had information for everyone listing. I also wouldn't be surprised that the people who listed hundreds of varieties also had a big presence on other sites. At one time and maybe still Carolyn, Tatiana, and others all had listings on SSE, but, if any of us wanted seed from them, we'd just go straight to them and not through SSE.
Old December 30, 2013   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post

Doug, surely you remember the recent thread I started about SSE, a long thread, where I stated the same. And yes, with their intent to start another program of just USA heirlooms, which they say will be the largest data base of those in the world, I do think that SSE has gone commercial and no longer has interests of seed preservation of all varieties, Oh, and they get to say which US varieties are OK to include, and now I'm just repeating all that was said in that brochure we SSE members got in the mail, where they defined what an heirloom is, ahem, talked of gretzes, ahem, and so much more.

Yes, I did list just 6 varieties for 2014, maybe let it run for two years, and then out. I'm a long term Life Time member so I'll still get the Yearbook and other publications such as Heritage Magazine, but what they won't get is money from me from their pleas by e-mail, etc., to support SSE activities.

Carolyn