Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 6, 2020   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally, getting back to gardening

It's been awhile. Was stuck in apartments for close to two decades, so was very limited to how much and how well I could grow. Then came new carpeting in my apartment and didn't want to take a chance ruining that. During that time I did have access to a backyard for three or four years which I had mixed results with.

Well, finally this year I'm living in a house with a decent backyard. Will mostly use containers/grow bags but will have at least a couple of plants in the ground. This is the same backyard I had access to previously and Black Cherry & Big Beef hybrid did especially well here. Bought seeds for both.

Tomato seeds I've purchased recently:

Big Beef (Had good productivity and the taste was good when I grew it out)

Black Cherry (Loved the flavor except when it rained too much one August)

Dester (Haven't grown before but know it's well regarded)

Kellogg's Breakfast (Only tasted one slice of this and it was fabulous)

New Big Dwarf (Growing to possibly make crosses w/Dester, Kellogg's Breakfast & Black Cherry)

Rosella Purple (Haven't grown before but others love it)

Sweet Scarlet Dwarf (Sounds like a really good one from the Dwarf project)

More seeds around here hiding. They are at least 2 or 3 years old and were refrigerated when I lived in my apartment. Since the move in late October I still haven't looked for them so they are in a bag around here somewhere. When I find them they'll be added to the list.

Planning on growing both sweet and hot peppers. Pretty sure I still have Chinese Giant seeds from my saved seed, and for hot peppers I'll look for Anaheim and probably Jalapeno at the stores. If the Chinese Giant seeds aren't viable I'll get something from Meijer, Home Depot or Menard's. Not too picky when it comes to sweet peppers, but would like to see how big Chinese Giant gets for me outdoors. Indoors the size was much more modest than it's potential. Not ideal growing conditions, to say the least.

Would like to grow Charentais melons which I've tried and failed at before, but may wait until 2021 for those. Also would like to grow cabbage, eggplant, lettuce, and kale, just not sure how much effort I'll put into those this year. It's going to cost a fortune for all the container mix I'll be using already, and don't want to tear up the yard too much year one.

Looking forward to and very grateful for the ability to garden outdoors again.

Good luck to everyone with your gardens this year. Feel free to share your planting list for 2020.

Last edited by OmahaJB; January 6, 2020 at 11:48 AM.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2020   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Would like to grow Charentais melons which I've tried and failed at before, but may wait until 2021 for those.
They are a pain in my climate. My friends have had good luck with this one https://www.johnnyseeds.com/fruits/m...-seed-462.html

The biggest issue with french melons is they are very prone to splitting. Good luck with your new garden!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2020   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks BigVanVader. Clicked on the link to Savor F1. Had heard of it before but didn't realize it was a Charentais type.

Looking forward to the garden, not so much to the work getting it set up. The yard needs a lot of work before I can prepare it for a garden. Tall, thick weeds that need to be taken out; part of a fence that the neighborhood riff-raff have pulled down & ruined; a pool that hasn't been taken care of that's filled with water, leaves, my niece's turtle (dead or alive?), and who knows what else. I'm not a cold weather person so will pick my days for working on it. Did quite a bit a couple months ago getting the old pool cover off and cut it up and thrown away, among other things. Thought those taking care of the yard the past couple of years were keeping things in order, not the case.

This is my elderly mother's house that I'm trying to get fixed up so I can get approved for a VA loan. Supposedly they are sticklers when it comes to inspections.

Good luck with your garden as well.
Old January 6, 2020   #4
imp
Tomatovillian™

Well, welcome back to a garden and hope it all goes well for you! If there is any way I can help, or if I have some seed you'd like to try, or suggestions, just ask. Best of luck,
Old January 6, 2020   #5
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Well, welcome back to a garden and hope it all goes well for you! If there is any way I can help, or if I have some seed you'd like to try, or suggestions, just ask. Best of luck,
Thanks imp. Wondering right now how many plants I'll actually be able to grow out this year. Tough thing about gardening, never enough space for a backyard gardener.
Old January 6, 2020   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Go Browns. Let me know if you'd like to take some seeds off my hands.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2020   #7
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Welcome back!
I kinda know the feeling. Moved last year and it cut my season short. Will prob only have 1 raised bed this year. Lol

Good luck!
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2020   #8
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Go Browns. Let me know if you'd like to take some seeds off my hands.
If I only had the space Tormato! Found my stash of old seeds today, many I bought or grew out and saved seeds in 2016. Between that and my new seeds I'll have more varieties than I can plant. Thanks for the offer.
As far as my Browns go, we wont talk about that for awhile.
Old January 6, 2020   #9
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Pittsburgh here; can't love the Browns, sorry. But you can grow more toms in 5 gal. buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. No bed prep.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2020   #10
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Welcome back!
I kinda know the feeling. Moved last year and it cut my season short. Will prob only have 1 raised bed this year. Lol

Good luck!
Thanks gssgarden. While I couldn't garden I'd visit this site once in awhile to read through the threads seeing how well others were doing, or reading about their garden disasters. Just hoping I'll be at the residence long enough to be able to enjoy the big payoff the plants provide.
Old January 7, 2020   #11
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Pittsburgh here; can't love the Browns, sorry. But you can grow more toms in 5 gal. buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. No bed prep.
So you're saying you have no sympathy for Browns fans? Wait, wait, Pittsburgh?? That explains it. Looking forward to future battles the two teams will have. Hopefully the Haslam family gets it right this time. Worried they are going to hire McDaniels. Grrrr.
As for my garden I have 5 and 10 gallon grow bags that I bought a few years ago. Most haven't been used even once yet so will put those to good use and will also be using buckets which I prefer. The challenge will be with the indeterminates. I know they'd prefer 15 or even 20 gallon buckets/pots, however at least some of them will be in 10 gallon buckets or bags.

If I have time later I'll post some of the other varieties I found in my old seeds I'll be trying to germinate.
Old January 8, 2020   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
So you're saying you have no sympathy for Browns fans? Wait, wait, Pittsburgh?? That explains it. Looking forward to future battles the two teams will have. Hopefully the Haslam family gets it right this time. Worried they are going to hire McDaniels. Grrrr.
As for my garden I have 5 and 10 gallon grow bags that I bought a few years ago. Most haven't been used even once yet so will put those to good use and will also be using buckets which I prefer. The challenge will be with the indeterminates. I know they'd prefer 15 or even 20 gallon buckets/pots, however at least some of them will be in 10 gallon buckets or bags.

If I have time later I'll post some of the other varieties I found in my old seeds I'll be trying to germinate.

I think the only way the Haslam's can ever get it right, is to sell to someone who will. But, let's not talk football, as the dynasty looks to be over.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020   #13
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I think the only way the Haslam's can ever get it right, is to sell to someone who will. But, let's not talk football, as the dynasty looks to be over.
12-4 this year, I believe, is the record your team had. If the decision makers in the Patriots organization are wise they'll pay Tom. It's not their way I know, but it could lead to another Super Bowl win next season. Also, I believe Jarrett Stidham will become a good starter. Was disappointed my Browns passed on him, even in the 4th round where they took a safety. A safety instead of a future starting QB! And that wasn't even one of the reasons Dorsey lost his job.

But hey, at least I have gardening to look forward to.
Old January 8, 2020   #14
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Great to hear you will have your hands back in the dirt!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020   #15
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I know the excitement of getting back into a garden. It is an awful amount of work but so well worth it. You may not grow too much this year but I think you will do some amazing things in the following years.
Glad your back in the garden. Enjoy!