Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 12, 2020   #1
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about Austin Texas soil

I am gonna help my sister-n-law plant tomatoes in Austin, can someone help me, do I need to do raised beds or should I use the existing soil, if so what amendments do I need to add, thanks.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020   #2
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Dark Rumor.....I live in Hutto just northeast of Austin. If your sister lives west of IH 35 she likely has very little top soil. I would suggest building raised beds. Whittlesey Landscape Supplies north of Austin has a rose blend mix I like to use. Be sure to add compost to the soil. I also add Alfalfa pellets to my beds.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020   #3
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
Dark Rumor.....I live in Hutto just northeast of Austin. If your sister lives west of IH 35 she likely has very little top soil. I would suggest building raised beds. Whittlesey Landscape Supplies north of Austin has a rose blend mix I like to use. Be sure to add compost to the soil. I also add Alfalfa pellets to my beds.
Looks like she is southwest of Austin and west of I35. Guess I will do some raised beds and add some alfalfa pellets to the mix, I usually use peat, compost and pearlite or pine bark.

Do you think the soil has a clay base or is it something else?
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote