Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 1, 2015   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default OMG I Can't Believe This Happened

I started main crop (dense planting) about a week ago, in a dark spot next to the kitchen. It was going very slow compared to prior years. After 5 days of checking for any signs of germination several times a day with a 99 cent led flashlight I ramped up the heat mat from 75 to 85. I came home late that night and every seedling popped up and was skinny and elongated, at least 2 inches.

Its been two days under T5's at night , in a sunny window, and 15 minutes of fan treatment and they are still looking very spindly. Options are start the 125 seeds again, pot up before the first leaves come, send them for cold treatment now .... any sage advice on their prognosis?

- Lisa

Cold tolerant selections started about 3 weeks ago are looking strong and healthy. JEarly for my zone but I have a routine which included hauling a few 3 gal buckets in and out at night...
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2015   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I am not growing in those numbers and I do not have special lighting. I do have a heat mat. Personally, I have let some very long skinny weak looking seedling just grow and than bury them up to their leaves later. But I only grow for my own use and to give away.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2015   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Linda, I've ramped up my garden efforts after a health issue but some some are given away to friends/family. I have two freezers that get filled with sauce for the entire year as I am on a low sodium/low sugar DASH diet. Supermarket spaghetti sauce is high on both those culprits.

They will produce but a little vanity going on here as well

- Lisa
Old February 1, 2015   #4
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I agree with the potting up deeper than usual. Tomatoes are very forgiving! Just keep burying them deeper
with each pot up. I think that should do the trick. If not, there is always the trench method of planting too.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2015   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Just keep burying them deeper with each pot up.

I was going to say the same thing. That's what I do.

Why not keep the fan on all the time?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2015   #6
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Lisa with those numbers I thought maybe you were selling tomato starts or farming! I am trying to keep my total seedling below 150 this year and I will give away more than I keep. I too make and freeze tomato sauce, I am familiar with the dash diet, maybe I should dust off that book....
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2015   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I am snowed in today so I took advantage and potted up the tallest two dozen. They were young (sown Jan 25) and their roots were so minimal that I decided to wait a few more days for them to beef up before attempting to pot the rest up.

Would like to know if potting up prematurely stunts growth or reduces production. I still have plenty of time to start over or supplement with new transplants if these were compromised.
Cole_Robbie, I'll get that fan going on the other trays.

- Lisa

Linda, DASH diet has helped lower my blood pressure and got me off processed foods forever. Very few foods are totally off, but pancake mix, bacon, tomato sauce and restaurant soups (for convenience) are missed. I control but not eliminate the sodium in home made pickles. I sub panko for breading and have quality oat or 12 grain bread. I still have a weekly burger from the golden arch place but request they leave off the salt seasoning and also order a side salad or small fry without salt.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; February 1, 2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old February 1, 2015   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I usually start seeds in vermiculite and then transplant them into cell trays when they have 4 leaves. Sometimes they are so leggy that they spiral on the media, but everything seems to be fine after transplant.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote