Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old August 4, 2020   #1
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplant Fries

• Eggplant Fries

I am always looking for a new way to cook eggplant, The family gets eggplant overload after a few eggplant meals so I have been trying to make an extremely easy eggplant recipe that will satisfy even the pickiest of the family.
I have been trying to make fries from eggplant for dipping, you know, whatever, horseradish and ketchup, Buffalo Wing Sauce, Buttermilk Ranch, Outbacks Blooming Onion dip, you get the picture, anyhow I have been working on a method to make some worthy eggplant fries for a quite a while.
It was this past weekend that I had success and the answer was so simple I smacked myself in the head after I tried it..

Cut into fries, "LIGHTLY" salt the Eggplant Fries and place on a cookie sheet lined with a few paper towels.

Place a few paper towels on top, cover with a Pyrex dish or similar and weight the dish.

Give it 30 minutes, remove the paper towels and replace with fresh paper towels, let fries sit another 30 minutes. I actually only did 30 minutes.
Remove the paper towels, wipe excess salt off of the eggplant, and place eggplant fries in flour (I was going to use Zatarans but decide on flour at the last minute, I will try Zatarans next time)

Make sure to work the flour into the eggplant so there are no wet spots showing.

In a skillet add enough oil to cover 1/4 - 1/2 the thickness of the fries, gently cook until golden brown flipping once.

Place fries on a drying Rack with paper towels.

Serve with your favorite dip and Enjoy.

These are really fantastic and my family was quite impressed with them.

These can be salty so taste before salting, also if making a Buffalo wing sauce, try to use an unsalted butter.
You can also add some ranch dressing to the Wing Sauce to cut salt and thicken the sauce up a bit so it adheres to the fries better
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2020   #2
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I've tried them using a method similar to "twice fried" French fries. I salt the sliced eggplant pieces and cook them three or four minutes in the microwave instead of the oven or oil fryer. The combination of salt and microwave drives the moisture out. I let them cool and then fry them in the air fryer. The moisture usually carries most of the salt away with it. I don't coat them with anything. Since my wife will not eat eggplant, I am the only judge and I think they are pretty good.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2020   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Looks great! My eggplant are off to a slow start this year but I finally have fruit filling out now.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2020   #4
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I've tried them using a method similar to "twice fried" French fries. I salt the sliced eggplant pieces and cook them three or four minutes in the microwave instead of the oven or oil fryer. The combination of salt and microwave drives the moisture out. I let them cool and then fry them in the air fryer. The moisture usually carries most of the salt away with it. I don't coat them with anything. Since my wife will not eat eggplant, I am the only judge and I think they are pretty good.

Ill have to try that
Old August 6, 2020   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I'll give it a go sometime. Some of those tries included maybe not presalting them?
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2020   #6
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Yes I tried not salting but felt the salted was better in texture
Old August 7, 2020   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for this, SQWIBB. My one eggplant is in between batches of fruit so I'll give this a shot when the next ones are ready.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2020   #8
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Yum, looks good. I love eggplant.

I wonder whether I could come up with a baked version that still had some texture? I've done both asparagus and zucchini "fries" coated with an egg//panko mixture, sprayed lightly with oil and then baked on a pre-heated heavy baking pan (or pre-heated cast iron skillet in the oven.)

My sweetie has been making caponata with eggplant - not yet home grown, as my one and only eggplant foray here in Florida was a bust. I'm going to try again with more tropical friendly Asian varieties.

- Ann
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote