Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2018   #1
chadandpia
Tomatovillian™

Default Help identify "mold"

Hi everyone,

For some reason I'm experiencing a lot of "mold" pressure this year. Never had this problem before. Plants are not watered from the top (only bottom), we've not even had any rain in months here in Northern California Bay Area, it's a grey mold that starts on the stem or branches of the plants. I was treating with Neem oil combo with fungicide but it didn't appear to be helping so switched to Seranade which I think is helping but just curious if anyone knows from the picture exactly what this is since it doesn't seem like a "normal" leaf mold to me .. just want to make sure it's not some actual disease and I'm not recognizing it!

Thanks,
Chad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0070 (1).JPG (38.1 KB, 60 views)
chadandpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It looks like it could possibly be gray mold. If it is you need to try a copper spray to see if it will help or for if it is on more than a few branches you may need to go with the dilute bleach spray. Gray mold can usually be kept in check with a copper spray if it is used regularly as a preventive spray. If gray mold develops for too long on a plant it can become incurable in my experience. It is as if it becomes a systemic disease at some point and once it gets to that point there seems to be no way to completely stop it.

I get gray mold almost every year on some of my varieties but if it is treated early and a copper spray used regularly as a preventive it can usually be easily controlled. If however it is left untreated too long it is very difficult to control. Try a copper spray and make sure to get all parts of the plants and both sides of the leaves. Remove any stems that have leaves with the mold on them and then watch closely and see if it is still moving up the plant.

A good discussion of the bleach spray should be read before using it. Here is a link.
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=bleach+spray

Good luck.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote