Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2023   #1
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Default How long between pollination and the formation of fruit?

I started using a tuning fork a few weeks ago on my flowers and have noticed quite a few more fruit having formed. Just wondering if it's from my hand pollination or just luck.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2023   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default When petal flower not stem falls off.

I check a couple by squeezing the green leftover cover leaf and feel for the little “bb” inside.Usually here one day after drop of petals.
Old July 3, 2023   #3
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kurt! I’ll have to very gently give that a try too.
Old July 11, 2023   #4
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I used one for a short while years back, I for sure thought it worked. It seemed to work best mid morning, that was when I could sometimes see pollen fall when I'd buzz a truss. That year I thought I had crosses on two sets of saved seeds. I had three plants or so of each type.

I have used it twice this year but only in the afternoons and only saw pollen fall a few times.

The only real way to know if it works is to document it well. I'm just glad I found mine and got to use it some again.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2023   #5
Dak
Tomatovillian™

@JRinPA, since I've been playing "tomato fairy" to my tomatoes, I've seen a marked incline of new fruit setting. It's turned into an every day ritual, but for me to document and keep records is way more than I'm up for.

Glad your found your tuning fork, hope you get the the full yield/potential out of your plants!
Old July 14, 2023   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Since I have started buzzing my plants, I have noticed an increase in fruit set. The biggest thing that I notice is either seen as a blessing or not, is that the plants become so loaded that then they will start dropping blossoms until you harvest some fruit. This means that you have a lot of fruit coming in in a relatively short time and then you have nothing on the table until the plant starts producing again. Good for processing but bad for fresh eating.